Cranberry Pistachio Granola Bars
This past weekend was a doozy. So many plans packed into two days. Weekends really should be Thursday – Sunday!
Oh my gosh, on Saturday night, Jason and I finished season 3 of Game of Thrones and we got to the Red Wedding episode and I’m still completely stunned by it. Like it was completely UNREAL. If you’ve seen it, you’ll know what I’m talking about. I remember when we were still on season 1 and everyone was talking about the Red Wedding. I have been waiting to see this episode for so long and now that I have, I can’t even begin to erase it from my memory. Which lead me to finally go watch the “reactions to the Red Wedding” compilation video on YouTube (spoiler alert: if you haven’t seen it, don’t click that link!). Pretty sure Jason & I reacted the same exact way as everyone in the video. Hands over our mouth, wide-eyed, and saying, “no no nooooo!” Oh man, GoT…one of the best shows out there!! I can’t wait to dive into season 4 and be caught up. Although, do I really want to be caught up? Not sure I can wait that long for season 5 ;)
I don’t make granola bars nearly enough. They’re so easy and they’re a great snack to have during the day when the craving for something sweet or something not so good for you hits! I love the combination of cranberry and pistachios. I see them often in trail mixes so I figured I’d throw them in this granola bar! I added chia seeds, too, because why not? They’re all the rage right now and they’re good for you; as is everything else in this cranberry pistachio granola bar! Whip up a batch and put them in snack bags to take to the beach, on a plane, or to the pool!
The perfect snack for putting in a plastic bag for traveling, picnics, or even kids' lunches!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a 13x18-inch jelly roll baking sheet, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, pistachios, cranberries, and chia seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter, honey, and brown sugar together until it comes to a bubble. Reduce the heat then cook for 2 minutes more. Add vanilla to the pot and stir.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix together until just moistened.
- Pour onto prepared baking sheet and press out to about 3/4 inch thick - if your sheet is too big, you can press them all to one half of the baking sheet to make them thicker.
- Let cool in refrigerator for 2 hours then cut them into bars.
These bars are very soft, unlike regular granola bars. Just keep that in mind that after you take them out of the fridge and cut them, sitting at room temperature, the bars will soften. :)
There is an affiliate link within this post.
Posted on June 23, 2014