Arroz Con Pollo
This is a sponsored post by Hunt’s tomatoes. All opinions are my own.
My favorite type of meal for working weeknights is one that is both comforting and quick. No one wants to spend two hours in the kitchen after coming home from a long day at work. At least I wouldn’t want to so I can’t imagine anyone else wanting to. But I also don’t want boring meals. I want something that will be satisfying and full of flavor to make cooking after a long day worth it.
Let me introduce to you this arroz con pollo skillet. A traditional dish from Spain and Latin America that you could say is similar to paella but we’ll just keep it simple and call it arroz con pollo (rice with chicken). Its got incredible amounts of flavor but only takes about an hour to prepare. Less than 20 minutes to prep and the rest of the time is melding all the flavors together. This is one of those weeknight dishes that you’ll want to keep on your ‘make again’ list!
The gorgeous color from this dish comes from the saffron but the pops of red are from Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes and red bell peppers. Using Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes is a great way to help speed up prep time in the kitchen. The fresh tomatoes are ready for you to pour from can to skillet and therefore cutting down on prep time! I love easy meals :)
Instead of using chemicals, like lye* Hunt’s peels all its diced, whole and stewed tomatoes using steam from simple hot water – the process is called FlashSteam™. This means no chemical by-products get put back into the earth.
This cozy dish is perfect for the cooler weather. The chicken thighs are seared to perfection with that crispy skin and then tucked into a bed of beautiful, vibrant saffron-colored creamy rice, tomatoes, olives, peas, and red bell peppers.
A quick and easy weeknight dish that will be a winner on your dinner table! This arroz con pollo skillet dish has incredible amounts of flavor and is a classic!
- 4 large chicken bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1: 15 ounce can of Hunt's Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sauvignon blanc or your favorite white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sliced and pitted Spanish green olives
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot, heat up olive oil over high heat. Place chicken thighs into skillet, skin side down and sear until skin is crispy and browned, about 7 minutes. Then flip and cook the other side, another 7 minutes. Remove chicken and let rest on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium then add onion and bell peppers. Sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, saffron threads, rice, wine, and chicken stock. Stir to incorporate then cover pot and reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently so rice doesn't stick to bottom of pot.
- Continue to cook until all liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through. About 25-30 minutes, depending on the type of rice you have. Add the olives and frozen peas and stir to incorporate and cook until peas are warmed through.
- Add the chicken back in to the pot when rice is just about done to heat through the chicken and finish cooking, if it is still slightly raw near the bone.
- Season rice with salt and pepper then serve immediately.
*Lye Peeling is generally recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes.
There are affiliate links within this post.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hunt’s tomatoes. The opinions and text are all mine.
Posted on November 09, 2016