National Hummus Day should be every day. Just sayin’
This post is sponsored by Sabra. All opinions are my own.
One of the best food holidays, in my humble opinion, is National Hummus Day. Hummus and I go together like PB&J but better because with hummus, I can actually make an unofficial meal out of it.
There are so many evenings where Jason is stuck in traffic and I’m sitting at home waiting to start dinner. I hate starting dinner and letting it sit in the skillet. Everything just wilts and then it develops that gross film on it from the steam. Gross.
Unofficial meal time snacking is what it is all about. It’s like a pre-dinner for me before Jason gets home but not totally spoiling the entire dinner; you know what I mean? It’s like the best of both worlds. I get a half-full belly so I won’t be hangry and I get to snack on Sabra Hummus!
Okay so the weather is getting warmer so it got me craving this cabbage slaw with creamy hummus dressing.
The crunch and texture of this cabbage slaw is EVERYTHING. I love when dishes have texture and bite. It makes it that more fun to eat.
And the creamy hummus dressing is unreal. I had Jason take a swipe of it with his finger and his eyes widened and he was like ‘woah, that’s really good.’ Pfft, yeah it is.
It’s kind of like an Asian hummus dressing that you slather all over your cabbage slaw. Did I mention that if you have this straight from the fridge, it’s like instant cool down sensation from the humidity outside?
And friends, this is what I choose to snack on for my unofficial meal when it is warm outside. What makes an unofficial meal so great? I can name two things. 1. the informality: no “formal meal” rules at the Unofficial Meal and 2. the food, duh. Fresh & satisfying Sabra Hummus to help me create the most creamy and flavorful dressing!
Oh, yeahhhh. You’re gonna want this to celebrate National Hummus Day!
Cabbage Slaw with Creamy Hummus Dressing
For the creamy hummus dressing
- 1/2 cup Sabra classic hummus
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Juice 1/2 lime
- Water to thin it out, if desired
For the cabbage slaw
- 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups finely chopped brussels sprouts
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- Chopped peanuts, for topping (optional)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the ingredients for the cabbage slaw into a large bowl. Pour creamy hummus dressing all over the slaw then toss to coat entirely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Top with chopped peanuts prior to serving, if desired.