This quick and easy Chipotle Shrimp Taco recipe is what’s for dinner tonight! Shrimp is soaked in a chipotle lime marinade before being pan seared and placed in a taco with cilantro lime slaw, then drizzled with chipotle ranch sauce. It’s the PERFECT summer meal!
Chipotle. Shrimp. Tacos. They’re even tastier than they sound, which is wild, because they already sound so delicious
This is one of my favorite go-to recipes for an easy weeknight summer dinner, and I also love making them when I’m entertaining friends and family. It’s always a good time to make these tacos!
I really don’t know what part of this taco is my favorite. The shrimp are marinated in a savory sauce and pan seared to perfection, while the slaw is crisp and SO refreshing. Then, of course, the chipotle ranch sauce is creamy and packed with savory flavor. I know it’s a cop out, but I feel like my favorite part of this taco is probably… the whole thing.
When I make these shrimp tacos for parties, I always get tons and tons of compliments on them.
It’s hard to mess up something as tasty as a taco of any kind, but it’s always a good feeling to really impress people, which is what these shrimp tacos do every time.
The shrimp marinade and tacos need:
- Shrimp – Try to use fresh, not frozen shrimp for best results. If you do use frozen shrimp, be sure to let them thaw and pat them dry before marinating.
- Chipotle pepper in adobo – This is what gives the shrimp their spicy, almost smokey flavor.
- Avocado oil – Coconut oil will also work.
- Lime juice – Make sure it’s the real stuff, freshly squeezed from a lime for best results!
- Salt – Flaky sea salt or kosher are the best.
- Corn tortillas – You could use flour, but corn is my favorite.
For the homemade cilantro lime slaw, you should have:
- Shredded cabbage – You could shred your own cabbage or buy a bag of already shredded cabbage. It’s a corner I don’t mind cutting!
- Cilantro – Toss a little extra in there if you really love it.
- Mayonnaise – Regular or low fat mayo will both get the job done.
- Sugar – Plain white granulated sugar is all you need for the slightest touch of sweetness.
- Paprika – The tiniest amount of paprika gives the slaw a hint of color and sweet pepper flavor.
- Garlic salt – Instead of using kosher salt, use garlic salt for added garlicky flavor.
- Lime juice – Remember – only fresh juice, not the bottled stuff!
Lastly, the chipotle ranch sauce calls for:
- Mayonnaise – Again, it doesn’t matter if you use regular or low fat.
- Chipotle pepper in adobo – You didn’t think I was done with this ingredient, did you?!
- Dried dill – Don’t worry, this just adds a tang to the sauce, it doesn’t make the whole thing taste like pickles.
- Dried parsley – This dried herb adds a lovely depth to the sauce.
- Garlic salt – Just a little bit will do, you don’t want the sauce to be too salty.
- Onion powder – For a hint of oniony goodness.
- Black pepper – Freshly ground will have the most noticeable flavor.
Are chipotle shrimp tacos spicy?
The short answer? Yes! The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are slightly tangy, but mostly spicy. However, you can alter these tacos to be as spicy as you want by adding more or less of the chipotle peppers.
How should I serve chipotle shrimp tacos?
These fresh and summery tacos are best served with side dishes like Pineapple Fried Rice or some chips and Corn and Avocado Salsa. Of course, don’t forget to wash it all down with a refreshing Frozen Pineapple Mango Margarita! Gosh, I really want to plan a pool party now.
Have any extra shrimp on hand? Here are some more delicious ways to enjoy them!
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Juice of 1 lime
Chipotle Ranch Drizzle
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Place the shrimp, chipotle pepper, oil, lime juice, and salt in a large bowl. Toss to combine, marinate in the refrigerator for up to one hour.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add the shrimp and marinade to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until caramelized and opaque in the center, remove shrimp, and set aside. Increase the heat to high and bring the marinade to a simmer until thickened. Add the shrimp back to the skillet and mix with the sauce.
- Mix together the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, refrigerate until ready to use.
Chipotle Ranch Drizzle:
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Fill each tortilla with slaw, shrimp, and a drizzle of the chipotle ranch dressing. Serve immediately.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.