This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Custard Yogurt Toast is the easiest treat you can make for yourself in the morning! You just need a handful of simple, customizable ingredients and a few minutes of your time to make yourself a little something that MIGHT be even tastier than French toast.
Table of Contents
What is custard yogurt toast?
Custard toast, which is interchangeable with yogurt toast, or as I like to call it: custard yogurt toast, is a essentially a take on cheesecake for breakfast. It kind of is like a danish or French toast but to be honest, it reminds me a lot of egg custard from Chinese bakeries or dim sum. If you’ve ever had one, you’ll know what I mean!
TikTok strikes again
It’s crazy to me that TikTok was created for kids to sing and dance on has now become the online beacon of easy recipes! While I’ve found that some of the viral recipes on there aren’t as great in real life as they look on my little phone screen, custard yogurt toast is well worth the hype it’s currently getting.
This toast won’t just be a fad – at least not in my kitchen! Now that I’ve perfected this toast just how I like it, I know I’ll be munching on this easy air fryer custard toast for years to come. It’s easy to make, only calls for a handful of inexpensive ingredients, and is so unbelievably tasty.
Crispy, soft toasted bread of your choice serves as the base to a ridiculously easy to make custard topped with berries. It’s like everything you love about french toast, except SO much easier and faster to make. If you have an air fryer, it’s super quick, but it can be easily made in the oven as well.
- Yogurt – I used vanilla yogurt, but any flavor (or unflavored) yogurt will also do the trick.
- Egg – Try to use a good quality egg that has a dark yellow center.
- Maple syrup – Use real maple syrup, not the super thick pancake syrup.
- Vanilla extract – Try to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
- Salt – Just a pinch!
- Bread – I used croissant bread, but you can use whatever you prefer! Brioche is also a great choice.
- Berries – Try to use fresh (not frozen) blueberries and strawberries.
Tips on making custard yogurt toast
The softer the bread, the easier to indent the toast to create your crater to hold all that yogurt-custard goodness!
The number of slices is really dependent on the thickness of your toast so while the recipe says it makes two toasts, it could make a little more or less depending on how thick your toast is.
You’ll want to keep an eye on this while it’s cooking. It can be hard while in an air fryer but just take a quick peek halfway through and adjust if necessary. For the oven, it’s easier to keep an eye on.
What other toppings can I use for custard yogurt toast?
Berries of any kind always yield delicious results!
Besides blueberries and strawberries, you could opt for raspberries, blackberries, or cranberries.
Chocolate chips are also a tasty topping if you’d prefer a more chocolatey taste! I like chocolate chips and strawberries are also a pretty decadent combo.
Can I make custard yogurt toast ahead of time?
Honestly, this is a breakfast recipe that’s best enjoyed right away. It doesn’t hold up too well in the fridge.
Besides, it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish, so it’s not a hassle to whip it up even on the busiest of weekday mornings!
Start the day off right with more of my favorite sweet morning treats!
Custard Yogurt Toast
- ⅓ cup (82 g) yogurt, I used vanilla but you can use your favorite flavor
- 1 egg
- 1–2 tablespoons (1 tablespoons) maple syrup, depending on how sweet you want it
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 2 slices bread, I used croissant bread, but you can use whichever you prefer
- ½ cup (74 g) blueberries
- 2–3 (2-3) strawberries, sliced
Air Fryer instructions:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 °F (204 °C) for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the yogurt, egg, maple syrup, vanilla and salt together in a small bowl then set aside.
- Press the middle of the bread down using a spoon or your fingers then pour the mixture evenly between the two bread slices but don’t overfill them.
- Top with some blueberries or strawberry slices.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper in the air fryer basket then place the bread in the basket carefully.
- Cook in the air fryer for 9-10 minutes at 400 °F (204 °C) or until the center is set and the bread is crispy.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (204 °C) and line a baking pan with parchment paper then bake the bread for 12-15 minutes or until light and golden and set in the center.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey and a dust of powdered sugar.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.