The perfect summer side for those outdoor picnics, cookouts, and more!
I hardly ever seen fried green tomatoes on a menu anymore. Are they not as popular or something? Maybe it’s something more popular in the south?
Either way, at least I have this recipe for fried green tomatoes in my arsenal so whenever I stumble upon green tomatoes, I’ll know what to make with them!
The outer crust is so crispy and the inside is soft and cooked to perfection. I love me a good fried green tomato :)
This whole stack needs to be in your mouth, except you might burn yourself so maybe let’s just do half a stack.
I’m totally going to go eat my weight in fried green tomatoes now.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- In a shallow dish, mix together both kinds of breadcrumbs, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In another shallow dish, mix together buttermilk and eggs.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip a green tomato slice in the egg wash mixture then cover with breadcrumb mixture, lightly pressing it onto the tomato. Shake off excess and gently place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until all slices have been coated.
- In a deep pot, bring vegetable oil to 350 degrees using a thermometer.
- Fry two to three tomatoes at a time, you don't want to crowd the pot too much. Fry each side 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown, then flip over and fry the other side.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to let excess oil drip off. Repeat until all tomatoes have been fried.
- Serve hot with your favorite sauce. We created a mayo and ketchup based sauce.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.