*Be sure to check out the recipe video below!*
I’ve been sick all weekend and I haven’t had much of an appetite — partly because I can’t taste anything.
I usually make my way to the farmer’s market on Sunday’s because I find that their produce is vastly different tasting than what you get at the supermarket. I have known this for quite some time; like you go to the farmer’s market to support local farmers and businesses but to also get the fresh of the freshest produce. However, I didn’t really experience that difference until several weeks ago when I bought a bunch of asparagus at the farmer’s market.
Whenever I go to the farmer’s market, I try to base my week’s dinner menu off what’s in season and what the vendors are offering. It’s very un-Julie-like to go somewhere without a list but at the farmer’s market, I like to be a bit spontaneous because I’ve discovered that as even your best intentions to be prepared at a farmer’s market; you’re bound to have a little improvisation thrown your way just because of the offerings of different vendors.
Anyway, back to the bunch of asparagus I bought at the farmer’s market. The taste was unreal. It was like nothing I ever tasted. I know that sounds bizarre because you’re probably just like, “asparagus is just asparagus” but no — this asparagus was so different. It was so incredibly tender and there was so much more flavor than any of the other asparagus I’ve ever had.
It was more…asparagussy? Like it was FRESH and it was as if I was eating it at the farm where it was grown or something. Right then and there.
I took that asparagus and knew I had to pair it with this honey butter lemon chicken. It’s just a great combination of fresh and clean flavors especially for the season!
This one skillet dish is a quick one for any night of the week and the flavors are outstanding! I mean, who doesn’t love honey butter slathered all over?! I definitely would not object to that.
Honey Butter Lemon Chicken and Asparagus
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Large bunch of asparagus, approximately 3/4 - 1 pound, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, honey, and juice of 1/2 the lemon then set aside.
- In a large plastic bag, add tapioca flour, salt, pepper, and chicken. Shake the bag to coat the chicken evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt honey butter mixture then add the chicken and brown on one side, about 5-7 minutes. Then repeat on the other side and cook until chicken has cooked through.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet and cook until just tender. Squeeze the remainder 1/2 of the lemon onto the cooked dish.
- Serve warm and divide evenly amongst plates.
- Optional: if you want, you can cut up sliced of lemon and after the chicken and asparagus has finished cooking, you can "cook" the lemon for presentation, like I did in the photos.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.