As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchasesJump to Recipe | Jump to Video | Save RecipeSaved!
I am on a SPICY kick lately.
Which is why this jalapeño lime chicken soup is perfect for those of you that like an extra kick!
I never thought I’d be the person to throw in a whole chopped jalapeño with SEEDS.
We all know the seed of any pepper is where the heat is but man, lately, all I want is heat.
I feel that when there is no heat in the dish, it’s boring and there is something missing.
This is a complete 180 from several years ago where I refused to eat anything spicy.
Besides how spicy this jalapeño lime chicken soup is, I love that it is made in the Instant Pot with shredded rotisserie chicken.
How spicy is this jalapeño lime chicken soup?
It is as spicy as you want to make it.
Like I said, I threw in a whole jalapeño with the seed but if you don’t want it that spicy, you can remove the seeds.
How would I make this without a rotisserie chicken?
You would cook the chicken with the soup in the Instant Pot.
Once the soup is done cooking, you’d shred the chicken.
What if I can’t find hominy?
Then you can just omit it since there is also corn in this already.
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
I would cook on low for 4-6 hours and high for 2-4 hours.
Either cook the chicken in the soup (if you don’t have a rotisserie chicken), or cook the soup base and add the shredded chicken in before eating.
Can I make this on the stovetop?
I would simmer the raw chicken in the soup until it’s cooked through then shred it and add it back into the soup.
If you’re using rotisserie chicken, then add the shredded chicken after the soup is done cooking.
In general, I would simmer the soup for 30 minutes or longer to let the flavors really develop.
What are the general flavors of this jalapeño lime chicken soup?
Spicy and tangy.
The tang comes from the lime but it’s not overpowering.
Can I use any other meat in this soup?
I could see ground turkey being a substitute for the shredded chicken but only if you have to.
Chicken is the best meat in this soup.
Can I freeze this?
This soup would freeze well because there’s no cream or milk in it.
How long can this be stored in the fridge?
We kept ours for 7 days just fine.
We kept it in an airtight glass container.
Other Instant Pot soup recipes you may love:
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Wild Rice Stew
- Instant Pot Sausage and Herbed White Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Autumn Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
Instant Pot Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounce diced green chiles
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce canned hominy, drained
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- In the insert of your 6-quart Instant Pot, add all the ingredients EXCEPT the hominy and chicken.
- Press the soup button on the front of your Instant Pot and make sure it is for 30 minutes. If you don't have an Instant Pot, high pressure for 30 minutes is what you want.
- After the soup has finished cooking, do a quick release then add in the hominy and rotisserie chicken into the soup. Cover and let the residual heat warm up the hominy and chicken for another 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.