This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Nothing tastes more like sunshine and summer than this easy Mango Relish! Made with just six ingredients including sweet mango and spicy jalapeño, this relish is sure to compliment your entrée with tons of mouthwatering flavor.
Spicy, sweet, and unbelievably fresh – that’s how to begin describing this mango relish! You could add this relish to the blandest of entrées and it would turn into an irresistible flavor packed dish. The juicy natural sweetness of the mangos, the fresh herbaceous tang of cilantro, spicy jalapeños and potent red onions all together is a combination that’s almost too good for words!
This slaw is delicious on fish, steak, chicken, shrimp, and even tofu! Honestly, you could even toss is on top of a fresh salad to give it some more deliciously fresh summer flavor.
I also really love the fact that when you make this relish, you can customize the ingredients however you’d like. While I’ve found that the combo of ingredients in this recipe is perfect for my tastes, you can alter more or less of whatever ingredient you’d like.
Lately, I’ve been making this relish on about a weekly basis. It’s hard not to crave it, especially in this heat! It just goes so perfectly with so many grilled things I’ve been making this summer.
Personally, I’ve been making a double batch at the start of the week and enjoying it throughout different lunches and dinners. I’m sure when you try how incredible this spicy and sweet relish is, you’ll be doing the same thing too!
- Mango – Dice up a fresh mango, don’t use frozen chunks! The difference in both taste and consistency is crazy.
- Red onion – Red onions have the most bold flavor of all the onions, which helps it stand out in this medley of bold ingredients. Plus, the pop of vibrant color is a nice touch!
- Jalapeño – Like it spicy? Keep the seeds in the relish. Don’t want it too hot? Discard of the seeds.
- Cilantro – This is an ingredient I sometimes find myself adding just a little bit extra of.
- Lime juice – Use fresh lime juice for best results! That bottled stuff from concentrate doesn’t taste as fresh and delicious.
- Salt – Just a touch of flaky sea salt is all you need to help enhance the other ingredients.
How long will mango relish stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, mango relish will stay fresh for up to 4 days! However, by days 3-4 there will likely be a lot of natural mango juices accumulating in the storage dish. That’s ok – it’ll still be tasty, but the ingredients might not be quite as fresh as they were on day 1.
What other ingredients can I add to mango relish?
I love this recipe just the way it is! However, you can have fun by adding the following ingredients:
- Tajin or cayenne powder for added heat.
- Sliced serrano peppers to REALLY make things hot.
- A drizzle of honey or agave nectar for more sweetness.
- Chopped red bell pepper for another fresh crunch.
So, what should you serve homemade mango relish with?
- 1 mango, diced
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Pinch of salt
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Place all of the mango relish ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.