Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe a tasty twist on classic comfort food.
This is one of my favorite dishes to make. It’s a huge casserole dish so typically, Jason and I can have 2 large bowls, each, for dinner and then we have enough leftovers to bring lunch for each of us in a tupperware! It’s definitely awesome and tastes SO good.
- 1 medium to large onion
- 1 box of chicken flavored rice & vermicelli
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- Handful of shredded cheese
- Dice the onion and put it in a skillet.
- Cut up the chicken into cubes and set aside.
- Put the skillet with the onions on the stove and drizzle some olive oil and cook until tender. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Once onions are tender, pour in the box of rice & vermicelli, including the seasoning packet.
- Stir for 2 minutes then pour in the chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a boil then bring down to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- While the rice mixture is cooking, in another skillet, cook the chicken halfway. They will finish cooking in the oven. While I cook the chicken, I add a couple shakes of cayenne pepper. Warning: cayenne pepper is VERY spicy and the longer it cooks, it gets spicier. I think 2 shakes/taps are good enough because you still have the chili powder to add later.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- After the rice mixture has cooked for 20 minutes (note: not all the liquid will have cooked away, it finishes in the oven), pour in the chicken.
- Add the cumin, tomatoes, green chiles and chili powder.
- Stir it all together.
- In a large casserole dish, pour everything in it.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes, covered.
- After 25 minutes, uncover the casserole and sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt.
- Wait a few minutes to serve it, unless you like it runny. If you wait, the liquid will sop up and the casserole will have a thicker consistency. However, if you’re like us, we couldn’t wait so we dug right in :)
I hope you make this dish, as it’s really simple to make, and it’s so delicious and flavorful.