Simple Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Leeks and Bacon
Thank you for all your get well wishes for Winston! He is on the mend but definitely hating the restrictions 😆
We are at home waiting on the impending blizzard that is headed our way. They named it ‘Jonas’ and all I can think of is the darn Jonas Brothers, lol…they’re also predicting 18-24 inches for our area. We haven’t really had snow all winter yet so I guess it’s coming in with a bang and saying hello! I would be more excited for this snow if it wasn’t going to be blizzard-like conditions and if we didn’t have a pup with a broken leg and neuter incisions. We’re going to have to be extra cautious with keeping his cast and belly dry and we’ll have to be shoveling a lot so he has a clear ‘path’ to do his business. I really hope we don’t lose power, either. If we do, we’ll either have to try to go to a hotel or have 20 blankets on our bed and put Winston in it, too.
Thankfully, I made a big batch of this roasted broccoli and cauliflower soup with crispy bacon and leeks to keep us warm and toasty through the blizzard.
Convenience for dinner recipes is key so take a gander at the short ingredient list, make a shopping list, and grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking! You will absolutely love the flavors of this soup and the crispy bacon and leeks on top (and throughout) are so phenomenal! 👌 I can’t get enough of this soup you guys. Seriously so easy and so so good!!
This simple roasted broccoli and cauliflower soup with crispy leeks and bacon will be your new favorite soup to warm you right up!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups thinly sliced leeks, divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup half and half, or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5-6 slices of bacon cooked until crispy then crumbled, reserve bacon grease
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large baking sheet, place broccoli and cauliflower florets in an even layer and drizzle olive oil and garlic powder all over. Using your hands, mix it all together to get them evenly coated. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the broccoli and cauliflower is roasting, heat up the reserved bacon grease in a large pot. Once the grease is very hot, add 1 cup of sliced leeks to the pot and let them fry up until crispy, about 3 minutes. During this time, you'll want to watch this process very carefully because they can burn in an instant! Once leeks are crispy, remove from pot with a slotted spoon and drain onto a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Once broccoli and cauliflower are done roasting, remove from oven and set aside.
- In the same skillet used as before, add the remaining leeks and yellow onion. Sauté until softened. Then add the roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
- Add the chicken broth and half and half to the pot and bring mixture to a low simmer.
- Using an immersion blender*, puree everything together until no chunks remain.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve soup in large bowls and top with crispy bacon and leeks.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can divide the mixture in batches and blend it in a blender.
There is an affiliate link within this post.
Posted on January 22, 2016