What a weekend. It was our last weekend to fully get our house ready to go on the market. We go on the market on Tuesday and we are hoping for the best! We are priced aggressively so we’re hoping we get an offer quickly. I turn 30 next week so that would be a great birthday present ;)
In other news, drywall goes up on our new house on Thursday so that means 10 days from Thursday, we will be able to walk in our house and get a real feel for the space! Gah! I’ve been updating the home section of my site if you’ve missed any.
When I first made this Slow Cooker Poblano and Tomatillo Shredded Pork and Quinoa, I subsequently made it three more times because it was SO good and SO easy to make. It also makes a lot which was perfect for us. (If you’re curious why the servings aren’t *always* for two, please see the FAQ’s.)
I love using large roasts and putting it in the slow cooker because it yields the most tender, fall off the bone results. After a long day at work, I just want to come home to a low-effort meal and this slow cooker poblano and tomatillo shredded pork and quinoa is it! You shred the meat then you add the quinoa (or whatever grain) to the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes and dinner is served!
Topping this dish with crushed tortilla chips and avocados is A NECESSITY. So dramatic but it really does round out the flavors. The tortillas chips give that extra texture and saltiness and the avocados make everything so creamy! I’m so obsessed with this dish. Makes me want to make it again.
If you have an Instant Pot – I bet you would have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. I usually make the sauce the night before and then pour it into the slow cooker with the roast the morning of. The same goes with the Instant Pot. I haven’t tested this myself but I can’t imagine this roast tasting bad while it’s basking in the delicious poblano and tomatillo sauce.
Seriously needs to be on your dinner menu this week.
Slow Cooker Poblano and Tomatillo Shredded Pork and Quinoa
For the sauce
- 1 jalapeño, halved and de-seeded
- 3 poblano peppers, halved and de-seeded
- 6-8 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place jalapeño, poblanos and tomatillos on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast 20-30 minutes, or until outside is charred.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then add to a blender along with the onion, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth then pour into large jar or container (if not using immediately) and place in the refrigerator*. If using immediately, keep in blender jar and set aside.
- Place roast into slow cooker then add oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Pour blended sauce all over top and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove meat and bone from the slow cooker and shred on a cutting board. Add back into the slow cooker along with the quinoa and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until quinoa (or grain of choice) is cooked through.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips on top and avocados. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
There are affiliate links within this post.