Enjoy a picnic this summer with these picturesque and delicious Strawberry Shortcake Cookies! These soft, buttery, berry-filled sweet treats are everything I love about the warm, sunny months all baked into one seriously good cookie.
These easy, summery cookies are made in just under 30 minutes and with only 8 simple ingredients. If you’re looking for an easy treat that’ll impress everyone at a picnic, backyard barbecue, or pool party, this is it! Each soft, buttery bite of these cookies is rich with fresh strawberry flavor that pretty much tastes like sunshine!
One thing I really love about making these cookies (besides just how easy and delish they are, of course) is everyone’s reaction to trying one. You know when someone tries something really good, and they make that face? The wide eyes, the smile, and the quick second bite between compliments? Yeah, these cookies pretty much guarantee that reaction every single time.
It’s hard not to love a cookie that has the perfect soft texture and fresh strawberry flavor! If you’re a lover of strawberries, these cookies are right up your alley. Just be sure to use fresh strawberries, not frozen, for the best outcome with both flavor and texture. Besides, it’s summer! Now is when strawberries are the ripest and juiciest!
- Unsalted butter – It needs to be at room temperature, not melted and not cold!
- Sugar – Use white granulated sugar for the best results.
- Heavy cream – This is what helps make the cookies so perfectly dense and delicious!
- Vanilla – You can use pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla flavor. Either one will do the trick.
- Flour – All-purpose plain white flour is what you’ll need to make these shortcake cookies.
- Baking powder – Without baking powder, these cookies would be entirely too dense. You need a little fluffiness in there, too!
- Salt – The tiniest pinch of kosher salt is all that’s needed here.
- Strawberries – It bears repeating – use fresh, not frozen strawberries! Frozen berries, even when thawed, won’t have the same desired flavor or texture as fresh ones.
Tips for successful strawberry shortcake cookies
- If you’re worried about your cookies spreading as they bake, let the dough chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes prior to baking.
- When spraying the baking sheet, use a butter flavored cooking spray for an additional buttery taste on the bottoms of the cookies.
- Often, cookie recipes will instruct you to remove the cookies from the oven once the edges are browned, but that’s not the case here. If the edges are brown, you likely cooked the cookies for too long.
How else can I serve these strawberry shortcake cookies?
Adding a dollop of whipped cream on top and adding more fresh strawberries would be a delightful treat!
How long will strawberry shortcake cookies stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these summery cookies will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
This summer, enjoy the sweeter things in life with these recipes!
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla flavor
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F and line a 12×16 baking pan with parchment paper or spray it with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together then add the heavy cream and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.
- Stir in the strawberries as best you can since the batter is so thick.
- Form 2-inch balls from the dough and lightly press them down a bit.
- Place 8-10 cookies on the baking tray evenly spaced and bake for 15-18 minutes or until light and golden on top.
- Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.