This Strawberry Mug Cake is light, moist, and oh-so-easy to make. You only need three ingredients! Enjoy light and fluffy strawberry cake in minutes.
Yes, this is a three-ingredient mug cake – well, you also need water, but I’m guessing you already have that on hand! While mug cakes are usually all about being rich and decadent (like my Dark Chocolate Mug Cake), sometimes you want a sweet dessert that’s a little bit lighter. This Strawberry Mug Cake fits the bill! It’s fresh and light, and instead of oil or butter, it’s made with applesauce.
I also love that this mug cake is simple. You don’t even have to measure flour, sugar, and baking soda! That’s because it uses a box of strawberry cake mix. Scoop it out of the box, put it in your mug, and you’re good to go. You’ll have cake mix leftover, but that just means you’ll have it on hand in the pantry whenever a strawberry cake craving hits.
What You’ll Need
Once you have the cake mix, you only need a few more ingredients for a tender, moist berry-flavored mug cake:
- Strawberry cake mix – I use Duncan Hines, but Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or any other brand is fine.
- Applesauce – Or use ½ tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of water as a substitute.
- Fresh strawberry
Take your mug cake to the next level by adding one or more of these toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- More strawberries
- Sliced bananas
- Strawberry sauce
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make Strawberry Mug Cake
Here’s how easy it is to make this mug cake:
Prepare. Spray the inside of an 8-ounce microwave-safe mug with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the cake batter. Add the cake mix, water, applesauce, and diced strawberry to the mug and stir.
Bake. Place the mug in the microwave and heat at full power for 1 minute. Cool slightly.
Garnish. Add any toppings you like, then enjoy!
Tips for Success
This mug cake is a cinch to make, but here are a few additional tips and tricks:
- About the applesauce. Use an unsweetened, plain, smooth applesauce—not chunky or flavored.
- Cooking time. Microwaves can vary, so 1 minute is just a starting point. If the mug cake isn’t done after a minute, continue to cook in 15 second intervals.
- Knowing when the cake is done. The top of the cake should be dry (I.e., the batter is baked, not liquid), but still moist. When you poke it, it should spring back.
How to Store
Mug cake is best eaten warm out of the microwave, but if you have some left over, you can cover the mug with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to a day.
Strawberry Mug Cake
- 6 Tablespoons strawberry cake mix
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced strawberry, patted dry
- Optional garnish: whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup
- Spray the inside of a microwave safe mug with non-stick spray (you want to use a mug that holds at least 8 ounces). Add the cake mix, water, applesauce and diced strawberry to your mug. Stir the ingredients together until smooth.
- Bake in the microwave at full power for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
- Garnish with whip cream and strawberries (and whatever topping you want, really!)
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.