Chipotle style burrito bowls you can make at home
Who’s ready for Cinco de Partay-o? I know I am! I don’t really “partay” to celebrate it per se but I’m excited to sip on margaritas, dip my chips into some killer guacamole, eat a few slices of carnitas pizza, and have a long siesta afterwards ;)
In regards to this celebration that we all know is just a mere excuse to throw back some margs and cerveza (or at least for us in the States), I’ve got the perfect compliment to soak up that booze cruise that’s going on in that stomach of yours.
Chipotle-style burrito bowls.
Raise your hand if you’re obsessed with Chipotle or crave it a lot. Uh, I’ve got both my hands raised and my feet.
I don’t know what it is with Chipotle or their crack-induced guacamole or chicken, but I seriously could eat there twice a week, or more. It doesn’t help that there’s like THREE of these darn establishments in a 2 mile radius from my house AND it’s also in every mall in the area. Guh, I just can’t get away from it. I try to cut down the calories while eating at Chipotle by having no beans and no cheese and brown rice instead of white rice (yes, they offer BROWN rice now. Thank you, Chipotle).
Now, I don’t really know how cutting out those two toppings can help the calorie count on my massive burrito bowl that weighs about as much as newborn child, but I do know I scarf it down as if I haven’t eaten in seven days.
Okay, so the nitty gritty. Making this at home is EASY and you can tweak everything yourself and it’s HEALTHIER because you know what’s actually going in all the toppings. Everything is homemade in these fake-out Chipotle burrito bowls. Errrything.
If you like more carbs or just don’t like the fact that this is a naked burrito, you can easily make this bowl into a burrito by shoving all the ingredients into a soft tortilla.
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless, chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried onions
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the corn salsa
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the rice
- I made 1 cup of white rice
- Place your chicken thighs in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Add the oil to the bag, seal it, and toss and turn the chicken inside the bag until they're all well-coated in oil.
- Mix all the seasonings in a small bowl then pour them into the chicken bag. Seal it and toss and turn the chicken inside the bag until all of the chicken is well-coated with the seasoning mix. Refrigerate the chicken in the bag for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- When ready, heat up your grill (I used my Cuisinart griddler) and grill each side of the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes until chicken is cooked through and there are nice grill marks on both sides. Remove chicken from grill and set aside before cutting.
- While the chicken cools, prepare the corn mixture by combining all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and tossing to mix well. Set aside.
- Make the guacamole with the instructions from the above recipe link.
- Transfer the cooled by warm chicken onto a cutting board and dice into cubes.
- Assemble the burrito bowl by putting a bed of rice into the bottom of a bowl then adding your toppings on. Enjoy!