It’s easy to make the popular take out sweet & sour chicken at home
We made it to Friday! Finally. I swear this week couldn’t have been any longer. I know Easter is coming up this Sunday and I have not done one dish for Easter weekend. And the dish I have here today is the polar opposite of what you’d eat on Easter, but, I mean, you have tonight and Saturday, right? Low-key Saturday night in before Easter festivities: takeout & DVR.
So lately, I’ve been really lazy about cooking. I think I’m burned out (gasp). I think we all get that way every now and then. I need a vaca. Anyone with me? I’m heading down to Miami in 2 weeks and seriously, that cannot come fast enough. I’m excited to not have to cook for a week — I know, it sounds really bad, but everyone needs a vacation away from their kitchen so you can appreciate it so much more when you get back! Haha
On a completely random note that has nothing to do with takeout or vacation: have you heard of country hottie, Jake Owen? Oh my gosh, he is one fine piece of…you know what. I heard his song “Alone with You” on the radio this morning on the way into work and that has resulted in my YouTubing all his videos. I came across Barefoot Blue Jean Night and man, I miss my college days when summers would be 3 months long and you didn’t have to worry about anything. You can up and go and go to the lake with your friends and josh around. Seriously, this adult life — I don’t know how I feel about it!!
Now back to this dish. See? I’m tying this whole entry together well because: vacation means eating out/takeout, college always resulted in takeout. Therefore, this dish is a throwback for my college days. We had this tiny Chinese takeout place down the street of my apartment and I swear, my roommates and I would get it at least twice a month. Like, get 2 entrees each and have a Chinese takeout party while gossiping and sitting in front of the TV..ignoring all those projects and homework.
Okay well, now you can make this popular takeout dish at home. It’s oven-cooked and super easy. Tastes JUST like takeout. Whip up some fried rice and you’ve got yourself a killer meal for any night of the week :)
Sweet & Sour Chicken
For the chicken coating
- 3-4 inch boneless skinless, chicken breasts, cubed into 1- pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
For the sauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray cooking spray on a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Season your chicken cubes with salt and pepper then dip the chicken cube, in batches, in cornstarch. Set aside on a plate and continue until all chicken has been coated in corstarch. Pop the plate in the fridge for 20 minutes. It'll help make the cornstarch stay on.
- When ready, heat up a large skillet with the 1/4 cup of canola oil. While the oil is heating up, dip the coated chicken in the egg then cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through.
- Place your chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce then pour evenly over the chicken.
- Bake chicken for one hour and during the baking process, you'll need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes. Basically, just shuffling it around and re-coating with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with fried rice or plain rice.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.