Tomato, Kale, and Potato Soup
I know what you’re probably thinking, “uh, why is Julie posting SOUP when it’s Spring?!” Well, winter didn’t get the memo and just yesterday, it was still snowing so that means it’s still the perfect time for soup and this soup is super easy to whip up! I literally threw this together one evening and it was so delicious that I made it AGAIN a couple nights later.
I’ve been really into reading lately, like more than I usually have been, and I started to put a bunch of books on my wish list in Amazon to buy before my big trip next month (hello, 19-hour flight). Well, then I started thinking about how heavy it was going to be to lug around four books and I have always wanted an e-reader of some sort. They just seemed so convenient but I couldn’t justify the investment in one because I don’t read as often as I should and a part of me still really loved the physical touch of a book, and I love the smell of books. Did I ever tell you that when I was a teenager, I wanted to work in a bookstore because I loved the smell of coffee and books? Well, if I didn’t, there ya go. Every time I get a new book, I crack it open and smell it. Is that weird? I can’t imagine our children not being able to have physical books in the future. They just have to, although I will admit I hated lugging around textbooks in my backpack so maybe technology for stuff like that is a good thing. Anyway, so as much as I love physical books, we have so much clutter as it is with magazines in the house that adding all my recent book collections to that mess is driving me nuts; so I finally decided to get an e-reader. I was debating between a Kindle or Nook and 90% of my Facebook feed said Kindle. I’d love your thoughts! Do you have a Kindle or Nook, and why did you choose your respective one?
Like I mentioned above, this soup takes no time to put together and it just simmers on the stove and the flavors continue to evolve the longer it simmers and sits. It tastes even better the next day! It’s the perfect hearty and healthy soup chock full of veggies!
A perfectly hearty and healthy soup that is chock full of veggies!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large potato, diced (2 cups)
- 1: 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 cups kale, loosely packed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic with 1 tbsp. olive oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth/stock, water, tomato paste, and tomato sauce to the pot. Stir to mix together. Bring to a simmer then lower heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Uncover and stir in the kale until wilted. Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Posted on March 26, 2014