The big day is tomorrow! I cannot believe it. This year has flown by way too quickly and given the fact that the weather is warm, it definitely doesn’t feel like tomorrow is Thanksgiving! If you’re cooking for just the two of you tomorrow or have a bunch of leftovers, you’ll want to continue reading!
We all know that cooking for two on Thanksgiving seems daunting. You want to celebrate the holiday, but you also don’t want to be stuck with leftovers for a month. This Turkey Shepherd’s Pie for Two gives you an alternative to a large Thanksgiving spread. You still get all the sides that are classic for Thanksgiving, but without all the leftovers taking up your refrigerator space. Perfection! This recipe is also great if you happen to celebrate with family or friends and you get sent home with a bunch of leftovers. The turkey and mashed potato leftovers can be used in this recipe, and it’s like having a Thanksgiving meal all over again!
Turkey Shepherd's Pie for Two
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or diced turkey, I boiled a 1-pound turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 2/3 cup mashed potatoes (I boiled 2 small red potatoes then mashed them with 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease two 16-ounce ovensafe ramekins and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add garlic clove, diced onion and carrots. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in the peas and turkey. Stir to combine. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to incorporate. Then stir in the tomato paste.
- Gently add the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and let mixture thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme leaves, then season with salt and pepper. Remove mixture from heat.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the ramekins, then divide the mashed potatoes evenly and spread on top of the mixture.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet for easier transfer to and from the oven. Place baking sheet in the oven on the middle rack and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.