If you know anything about me, you know I have a deep love for brussels sprouts.
I always say, if you have never been a fan of brussels sprouts, then you have clearly had it the wrong way.
I always have shaved brussels for breakfast.
When I come home from the grocery store on the weekends, the first thing I do is trim my brussels sprouts (buy them in bulk!) and pop them into the food processor to shred. I use the slicing disc and it makes it so easy!
Warm roasted brussels sprouts salad with farro recipe
This may be one of my favourite salads to date.
There’s shaved brussels sprouts, whole roasted brussels sprouts, hazelnuts, and farro.
I tossed this salad in my favourite Dijon shallot dressing and the warm farro and roasted brussels sprouts just warm this salad through and brings out all the flavours!
I don’t like brussels sprouts
Uhh, then you probably won’t like this recipe.
However, I urge you to try something new and perhaps you don’t like brussels sprouts because you haven’t cooked it the right way?
I can’t have hazelnuts
You can use any other nut that you like. It’s mostly for texture so it won’t change the flavour of this salad if you swap in another nut.
You can omit altogether if you want.
Can I use something else other than farro?
Quinoa or pearl couscous would be awesome too!
I just love the chewiness of the farro and gives great texture as well.
Can I use store-bought dressing?
Of course! I suggest a vinaigrette as opposed to something creamy.
Can I add in other ingredients to make the salad more “full”
Here are some great options:
Warm Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Farro
- 1 pound (454 g) brussels sprouts, (thinly slice half then trim and halve the other half and roast, see notes)
- 1 cup (200 g) quick cook farro
- ½ cup (118 ml) Dijon shallot dressing
- ½ cup (60 g) whole, roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (can be salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the thinly sliced brussels sprouts in a large bowl. It's okay they are raw.
- While you are waiting for the other brussels sprouts to roast, cook the farro according to the instructions on the package. Quick cook farro (at least with the one I got) should take 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your dressing then set aside and chop the hazelnuts.
- When everything is finished roasting and cooking, put everything, including the chopped hazelnuts, into the large bowl with the raw shredded brussels sprouts. The residual heat from the roasted brussels sprouts and farro will essentially cook the shredded brussels sprouts.
- Drizzle dressing on top and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Immediately serve and enjoy!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.