White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
I didn’t really realize how hard macadamia nuts were to find until I actually needed them for a recipe. My parents would ALWAYS have macadamia nuts lying around the house. They had friends that would send it to them from Hawaii and they would also get jars of them at Costco. I hate venturing out to Costco – it’s a 5 minute drive for me but I hate dealing with the people and the crowds. Just drives me bonkers and slightly claustrophobic.
Anyway, so I had been searching for these nuts (haha) for a while. My friend said Trader Joe’s typically has them but they ran out and hadn’t had them in stock for a while, Wegman’s, which has EVERYTHING, didn’t have ANY macadamia nuts, so I kind of gave up. But then I remembered Whole Foods. Slightly more expensive but they miiiight have them.
I drove myself to Whole Foods, thoroughly embarrassed myself by asking a male employee where his bulk nuts were, and happily left Whole Foods with a bag of nuts. #winning
If you’ve ever gone to Costco and gone to their bakery section, then you know the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies that I’m about to talk about. They come in these plastic bins along with an assortment of chocolate chip cookies and double fudge and you can’t just choose one ’cause you pretty much want them all. They’re super soft and got loads of nuts and white chocolate chips in it. Yeah, those cookies. Well, I made my own version at home and I’d have to say, mine were pretty darn close to those Costco ones – just slightly smaller, but big things come in small packages and that’s exactly what this cookie is :)
These White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are super soft and loaded with nuts and white chocolate chips - yum!
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread flour, you may use AP flour instead if you don't have it on hand
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, add flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until all combined and well-incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold in the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. They will look super soft but they continue cooking after you remove them from the oven.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before you move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Posted on February 15, 2013