This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Inspired by the fresh, delicious flavors of the Middle East, this za’atar cucumber tomato salad is bold and unforgettable. Make this incredible salad as a light lunch or side dish today!
When I first discovered za’atar seasoning, I fell in love. Seriously, I think I added a teaspoon of that stuff to just about everything I made for weeks! It’s a tangy, addictive seasoning that I just can’t get enough of it!
Of all the recipes I’ve whipped up with za’atar, (like roasted za’atar chicken wraps), this cucumber tomato salad is the one I find myself making on a weekly basis. It’s made with simple, fresh ingredients and it all comes together in just minutes.
Next time you want to make a new, boldly flavored side dish, consider making this za’atar cucumber tomato salad. Be warned, though – it’ll probably steal all of the attention away from the main entree!
Ingredients for za’atar cucumber tomato salad
The best thing about this recipe is really how clean it is. There are no artificial preservatives or other junky chemicals. This is a simple, inexpensive salad that your body will be grateful for!
- Cucumbers – The best cucumbers to use are Persian! I love how crunchy they are compared to English cucumbers.
- Tomatoes – I always use roma tomatoes, but beefsteak works too.
- Shallot – Shallots are perfect for this recipe because they provide a delicate sweetness to the other ingredients. In a pinch, a yellow onion also works.
- Tarragon – Use fresh, not dried tarragon for best flavor.
- Za’atar seasoning – I use 2 heaping teaspoons, but I won’t judge you for using even more!
- Salt and pepper
What should I serve za’atar cucumber tomato salad with?
Your entree doesn’t necessarily need to be Middle Eastern to accompany this fresh salad! In fact, I sometimes find it to be a lot of fun to combine different foods from around the world one one plate.
Here are just a few entrees I serve this salad alongside:
- Grilled Asian Marinated Flat Iron Steak
- Grilled Peri Peri Chicken Drumsticks
- Lemongrass Pork Meatball Lettuce Wraps
What other veggies can I sneak into this salad?
I love keeping it simple with just chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, and diced shallots. However, you can certainly add more veggies to the mix!
Leafy greens like kale, spinach, and arugula would all taste delicious when tossed into this easy salad.
Here are some more of my favorite salads to serve on the side!
Chopped Endive and Romaine Salad
Nutty Spinach and Quinoa Salad
Bulgar and Summer Vegetable Salad
Za’atar Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 5 persian cucumbers, cubed
- 4 medium roma tomatoes, cubed
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 heaping teaspoons za'atar seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, toss, and serve chilled or at room temperature.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Saturday 17th of July 2021
Which za'atar seasoning do you use? Too many variations. Thanks!
Monday 26th of July 2021
i used one i got at a middle eastern supermarket.