Crockpot Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Time to dust off those crockpots and gear up for the colder months! This crockpot turkey pumpkin chili will warm you right up!
I finished watching Friday Night Lights and I swear there’s this emptiness inside me that it’s all over. The last episode was amazing and the writers did such a good job on giving closure to the show. How about giving my heart some closure?! What am I going to do with my evenings now?! Haha, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a better TV show in my life..so much so that I ordered the entire DVD set. Bonus features, anyone?!
So since we’re done with Friday Night Lights, I decided to finally sign up Netflix so we can watch all these TV shows that everyone constantly raves about. I just started Scandal (note: just me. Jason refuses to watch it) and I’m not super into it, but I’m sure as the season progresses, I’ll be hooked. It’s neat it’s based in DC, too, so there are always these snapshots of DC that make me go, “hey! I know where that is!” haha
We tried to start Breaking Bad last night but there’s something wrong with our Netflix and cable provider. I swear they’re throttling our bandwidth or something. Every 10 seconds, the episode will buffer and it’ll stop in the middle of a scene. It happened for the first 10 minutes of the show and we were so frustrated, we turned it off. We couldn’t even get through the first episode! Argh. I hope it was just a fluke or peak hours or something. If not, then we’ll likely have to get rid of Netflix cause I don’t want to watch it on a computer when we can watch it on our big tv.
Any other shows on Netflix you recommend? I heard House of Cards is another great one – any others?
If you haven’t already, now is the time to dust off those crockpots and put them to good use! One of my favorite things about Fall/Winter is how much I use my slow cooker. I don’t know why I don’t use it as often in the summer months since there are plenty of amazing dishes you can make in the crockpot that aren’t soups/chilis, but cooler months always remind me more of my slow cooker!
I’ve had this crockpot turkey pumpkin chili bookmarked for a while. The original recipe from Whole Foods doesn’t require a crockpot but I modified it so you can put it all in the crockpot and let all the ingredients have a party together! This is perfect to whip up for when you have guests coming over to watch football on Sunday or just to have a bunch of leftovers so you don’t have to slave over the stove the entire week :) we brought it for lunch on several occasions and I totally wanted to fall asleep at my desk after having a bowl. It makes you all nice and warm on the inside. Sleep coma-inducing chili is what this really should be called. ;)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with the liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, cook the ground turkey halfway through, just enough so you can break it into smaller pieces.
- Then add the turkey and all the other ingredients into the insert of your crockpot. Stir or whisk everything together until the pumpkin puree has been dissolved or broken up.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve warm and top with whatever toppings you like (cheese, sour cream, green onions, etc.)
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.