Slow Cooker Korean Tacos
Slow cooker Korean tacos are so easy to make and the results are a tender & flavorful pork wrapped inside a warm tortilla and topped with a tangy slaw!
Yesterday, we got an unexpected snow day! Monday was so nice and felt like spring and then Tuesday rolled around and it did a 180. They forecasted 8-11 inches so I think that scared a lot of officials and schools because all the closings started to happen. Woke up in the morning and the government was closed so that was a nice :) I already had MLK day off on Monday and yesterday was just extending the long weekend. They said that today’s wind chill is supposed to be -17 degrees. Oh my gosh, I don’t even want to step foot out of my house. I think I’d literally freeze :) not quite sure how the midwest deals with this kind of cold every winter!
A month or so ago, I had a huge hankering for Korean tacos. There’s this food truck in DC that Jason and I LOVE and try to go to whenever we’re at work and the food truck is around our offices. Well, when I had the craving, it was the weekend and we weren’t anywhere near the city so I had to remedy the situation by creating Korean tacos at home. I found this recipe in the cookbook, 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O’Dea. My friend at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt sent me her book and I couldn’t be more happy with it. Slow cooker recipes are my ultimate favorite and I know they’re your favorite too!
I loved the tenderness of the pork and the flavor! This pork and the sauce that accompanied it is bold, sweet, and tangy. Jason and I probably ate three tacos each and the leftovers were even better!
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 16-ounce package of coleslaw or broccoli slaw mix
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- Small tortillas or hot cooked white (or brown) rice, for serving
- Add the pieces of pork in the insert/bowl of your slow cooker. Add hoisin sauce, garlic, green onions, and ground ginger.
- Toss each piece of pork a few times to fully coat with the sauce and spices.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Prior to serving, in a bowl, toss coleslaw or broccoli slaw mix with rice wine vinegar and brown sugar.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred. Place pork back into the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve in warmed tortillas with slaw on top or spoon pork onto a bed of rice. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
There are affiliate links within this post.