BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie is dangerously addicting! You will be making this over and over again.
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie
Let me tell you about this bbq chicken cornbread pie. This pie was so epic that I had to move it up on my calendar and post it immediately. Yeah, for a dish to be moved up on my editorial calendar, it’s OUT OF THIS WORLD good.
You know what I need y’all to do this weekend? Make this gosh darn pie. I was so excited to get home Tuesday night to make this pie. I knew it was going to be good, but I didn’t realize how good. Jason ate 3/4 of the pie. Yeah, what a pig! Just kidding. I ate like a large a$$ slice. Probably not good for my real a$$.
So, if none of that is enough to convince you to make this cornbread pie now, here’s a little more to sweeten the pot. It’s an easy dinner recipe that comes together with no fuss, and simple, everyday ingredients, and only takes 15 minutes to cook! Made with a sweet barbecue sauce that covers the chicken, and a crispy cheese topped cornbread, who could resist?
How To Make a Cornbread Pie
First, you’ll preheat oven and grease a 9″ pie pan. Then, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg, butter, and milk, and fold in the corn. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan and bake until the top is just about set and golden brown. Remove from oven when it’s done and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet and add the olive oil and add the onion and red peppers. Cook until they’re soft and then add in the chicken and garlic and saute until fragrant, and season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce, and cook for a few more minutes. Next, you’ll add in the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Stir to combine, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until thickened
Cover the cornbread pie with the chicken mixture and sprinkle lots of cheese on top. Turn the broiler on high and put the pie back in the oven until the cheese has completely melted over the top.
What If I Don’t Like Cornbread?
I hate to say it, but if you don’t like cornbread, then this recipe probably isn’t for you. I love giving all the best substitutes for any recipe, so as many people can enjoy it as possible, but this recipe just wouldn’t be the same at all without the cornbread. It’s kind of the basis of the pie.
If you’re still craving bbq though, be sure to head to the bottom of this post for more inspiration, and some other recipes that don’t include cornbread.
Can I Make This Cornbread Pie Without Chicken?
Yes! You could also make this with shredded pork as well. I wouldn’t suggest trying to skip the meat altogether though. Just like the cornbread, the meat holds a lot of weight in the making of this recipe, so I highly suggest making sure you incorporate some type of shredded protein source.
How Long Does BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie Keep?
Normally cornbread dishes can be left on the counter because cornbread is safe to eat at room temperature, but since we are working with perishable ingredients like chicken and cheese, along with the cornbread, this pie will need to be kept in the refrigerator.
You can store it in an airtight container, or just cover the pie dish with foil, or plastic wrap. Once stored properly, the cornbread pie will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Can I Freeze Cornbread Pie?
Yes! Cornbread is 100% freezable, as well as the filling. If you want to make an extra batch to save for a rainy day, just prep the dish as you would for the refrigerator, and place it on a level spot in the freezer for up to 4 months.
To reheat you can take the cornbread pie out of the freezer, let it thaw for a few hours, then reheat in the oven on 350 for about 30 minutes. This method will give you the best results, but microwaving will work just as well.
Tips For Making the Best BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to shred the chicken. A super-quick way to shred chicken is to throw the precooked chicken into a bowl and mix on medium speed until it is all shredded to your liking. It’s way easier and quicker than shredding using a fork.
- If you’re short on time, feel free to use premade bbq sauce instead of the homemade version.
- Don’t forget to broil the pie at the end. The broiling step is vital for giving you that amazing crisp melted cheese coating on top that really sets this recipe over the edge. It won’t be the end of the world if you forget, but it just won’t be quite the same.
You’ll Love These Other BBQ Recipes!
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie
- 1: 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix, like Jiffy
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
For the topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 10 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9" pie pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg, butter, and milk. Then fold in the corn. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan and bake for 15 minutes or until top is just about set and golden brown. Remove from oven when it's done and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and add the onion and red peppers. Cook until they're soft and then add in the chicken and garlic and saute until fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes then add in the tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, an brown sugar. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cover the cornbread pie with the chicken mixture and sprinkle lots of cheese on top. Turn the broiler on high and put the pie back in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until the cheese has completely melted over top.
- Slice into wedges and serve. You can garnish with scallions or parsley.