Ever since Jason and I discovered grilled pizzas, it has been a yearly tradition to make all the grilled pizzas we can in the summertime. We love making classic combinations like this BBQ chicken grilled pizza but we also like throwing a bunch of a random fridge items onto a grilled pizza. Besides, at the end of it all, it’s a pizza and who can say no to that?
I’ve always been a fan of BBQ chicken on pizza. I remember whenever we went to California Pizza Kitchen as kids, it was THE pizza I would always get. I refused to share (still do haha) because I wanted it all to myself. I have a BBQ chicken pizza recipe on my blog but it’s not the real deal, in my opinion. It was made with a cauliflower crust and while I loved it back then, this BBQ chicken grilled pizza is the real deal.
The crust has got to be my favorite thing about grilled pizzas. So extra crunchy and cooks in no time! This is also 70% of the reason why we loved grilled pizzas so much compared to regular oven-baked pizzas. The cook time! Grills heat up way faster than ovens and when you’ve got a busy life, anything to help save time on dinner is a must!
You can easily make your own grilled pizza dough but we like to buy ours pre-made from Whole Foods or Wegmans when we’re in a time crunch. It’s enough to make two pizzas!
Maybe this BBQ chicken grilled pizza isn’t the way you would do BBQ chicken pizza but it’s our favorite way of doing it. The blue cheese in place of mozzarella gives it a different yet incredibly awesome flavor. Although, if you don’t like blue cheese, I would stick to the mozzarella.
We both don’t like cilantro but love fresh basil so we use an abundant amount in its place.
Honestly, any way you make it, it’ll be delicious because well, it’s pizza!
BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza
- 1 dough recipe or store-bought pizza dough
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken
- ⅔ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Handful of basil, finely chopped
- Preheat outdoor grill on high.
- In a small bowl, toss shredded chicken with half of the BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- While you're preheating the grill, roll out your dough on a lightly floured 9-inch pizza pan. Gently stretch it and pull it to fit the 9-inch pizza pan.
- Once done, place it gently on the grill (you may need a helping hand for this part). Close the lid and grill for 3-5 minutes on each side (checking every so often to make sure the bottom doesn't get too charred - every grill VARIES in temperature so keep an eye on it).
- After 3-5 minutes, flip the dough on the other side, close the lid and grill for another 3-5 minutes, again checking every so often to make sure it doesn't get too charred.
- Once both sides have been grilled, bring the dough inside to assemble your toppings.
- Brush a thin layer of BBQ sauce on top of the dough then sprinkle red onion, blue cheese, shredded chicken, and basil on top.
- Slice and serve!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
There is an affiliate link within this post.