Broccoli Salad is a vibrant recipe that can be enjoyed as a side dish, appetizer, and you can bring it with you to your next potluck! Fresh broccoli is tossed with delicious ingredients like shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, red onion, and more.
Salads should be anything but bland or boring. I mean, if I’m going to eat vegetables in the form of a side salad, it better still hit the spot! That’s why I’m so obsessed with this easy to make Broccoli Salad – it’s loaded with ingredients like cheddar cheese and bacon, so it actually satisfies my cravings.
The dressing that gets tossed with all of my favorite ingredients is also downright delicious. Red wine vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, mayonnaise and more are mixed together to create a simple, yet bold blend of flavors that compliment the broccoli perfectly.
Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies, so I like to make sure I get enough of it by making recipes like this one! When broccoli is dressed up and plated with bacon and cheese, I make sure to finish every last bite. It’s so good I can’t help myself!
What You’ll Need:
- Broccoli – I personally like to chop the heads of broccoli myself, but you can buy the bagged stuff if you prefer.
- Cheddar Cheese – It may be quicker to buy a baggie of shredded cheese, but shredding a block of cheddar yourself will yield better results in both flavor and consistency.
- Bacon – You can either just buy bacon bits or go the extra mile and fry it up yourself.
- Red Onion – Red onions have the most potent onion-y flavor, which is what you’re looking for in this recipe.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Avoid using any other type of vinegar!
- Sugar – Plain white granulated sugar is all you need, nothing fancy!
- Salt and Pepper – Don’t be too generous with the salt, and make sure your black pepper is freshly ground for the best flavor.
- Mayonnaise – You can use full or low fat, whichever best fits your diet.
- Lemon Juice – As always, use freshly squeezed lemon juice only – not the bottled alternative.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
For more detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Make the dressing. Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl, then whip it all together until combined for about one minute.
Toss the salad. In the same bowl, combine the remaining salad ingredients. Stir until everything is fully coated, then enjoy!
Can I make broccoli salad vegan? Yes! Just make sure you use a vegan mayonnaise, dairy-free cheddar cheese, and a plant-based bacon alternative.
Can I use frozen broccoli? No, it tends to be too mushy for broccoli salad. You want the crunch from the broccoli so it gets that good texture.
How long will broccoli salad stay fresh? In an airtight container in the fridge, this salad will stay fresh for about 24 hours once it’s been tossed. If you store the salad ingredients in a separate container from the dressing, both containers will stay fresh for about 2-3 days.
Enjoy more of my favorite salad recipes this summer!
- 2 heads chopped broccoli
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices crumbled bacon
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- For the dressing, combine red wine vinegar, sugar, ground pepper, salt, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a large oversized mixing bowl. Whip together for 1 minute.
- In the same bowl, add broccoli, cheese, bacon, and onion. Stir until all are coated fully. Using a spatula, pour into a serving bowl.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.