This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
You’ve never had scallops like these Cajun Brown Butter Scallops before! These scallops are packed with mouthwatering cajun flavors that are guaranteed to satisfy. Say goodbye to bland scallops, and hello to these scallops that have quite the kick!
It’s not often that I crave scallops, honestly. While I do enjoy them, I’ve never found myself day dreaming about them… until I made cajun brown butter scallops.
When these flavorful scallops are served with cilantro lime rice, lime wedges and mango relish, you have what just may be the most delicious summertime dinner EVER! And if you’ve never made scallops, don’t worry – I’ve simplified the cooking process for you!
The natural, delicate sweetness of scallops is enhanced by the browned butter, but is balanced by the spicy cajun seasoning. It’s a combination that will truly blow your mind! The only other ingredients are a pinch of sea salt, avocado oil for cooking and a little lime juice to top the scallops off with. This is truly a quick and easy seafood dinner that tastes like it costs a lot, but is actually pretty budget friendly.
So I encourage you to ignore the usual salmon or shrimp dinner next time you’re craving some seriously good seafood. Instead, shake things up by making these cajun brown butter scallops! They might be different than what you’re used to, but their bold and unique flavor is guaranteed to have you going back for more.
And if you have any extra scallops left over that went uncooked, use them deliciously by making a Scallops and Summer Vegetable Skillet!
- Scallops – Use fresh, not frozen medium sea scallops.
- Sea salt – Just a tiny pinch of flaky sea salt is all you need! The cajun seasoning already has some sodium in there, so you don’t want to overdo it.
- Cajun seasoning – This is the real star of the show! Because of how bold and powerful this seasoning is, try not to use more than what’s called for.
- Avocado oil – Olive oil can also be used.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is the best for the freshest flavor! Also, serve some wedges with the scallops once they’re plated for presentation.
- Vegan butter – Vegan butter is my favorite, and if you’re dairy free you’ll love it too! However, regular butter can also be used.
How do I know when the scallops are done cooking?
At 3 minutes per side over medium high heat, the scallops should definitely be cooked all the way through!
You want to avoid overcooking the scallops, as they can quickly become rubbery. When the scallops are beautifully golden brown on each side, they’re done cooking.
What kind of scallops should I use?
Medium scallops are my favorite to cook with because they cook quickly and have great flavor.
Typically, when you buy medium scallops from the seafood counter at your local grocery store, you’re buying bay scallops. Bay scallops are known for their tender texture and delicious flavor!
If you love that spicy cajun flavor, you need to make these recipes too!
Alfredo Pasta with Cajun Spiced Chicken
Cajun Brown Butter Scallops
- 1 pound medium sea scallops, about 20
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups cilantro lime rice
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Season the scallops on both sides with salt and one side with the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the scallops to the pan, spice-side down.
- Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook another minute until cooked through. until just cooked through. Remove the scallops from the pan and set aside.
- Add the lime juice to the skillet scraping up any bits leftover on the bottom of the pan. Add in the butter and whisk until combined. Pour the sauce over the scallops.
- Serve the scallops with rice and mango relish.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.