This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Chocolate Cream Cupcakes for my 25th Birthday.
Today is my birthday. I’m officially in my mid-twenties. It’s my quarter century, y’all.
So as conceited as it may be, I baked myself cupcakes and decided to gift y’all with them.
And these aren’t just any regular cupcakes. These are my favorite cupcakes in the entire world. Yes, this is a contender to my favorite flavor, red velvet. You know what that means. These are THAT good.
I mean, just look at them. They’re oozing with chocolate and cream cheese. They’re so super moist on the inside too. So sinful. And so appropriate for a birthday celebration.
Did you know me and N*SYNC hottie, JT, share the same bday? Yup. I’m super-duper cool. OH, and guess who else? Give up? JULIE from The Little Kitchen and I not only share the same names, we share the SAME FREAKING BIRTHDAY too (oh, and we’re both Asian — coincidence??) !! Yeah, this revelation had us thinking “are we in the twilight zone?” So, go tweet at her & wish her a happy freaking birthday! Happy birthday Julie!!
I had these cupcakes years ago, in high school, and I told myself I was going to make them. I got the recipe from my friend and it was forever lost in my inbox. Then Saturday evening rolled around and I suddenly thought of these cupcakes. I had all the ingredients so I woke up early Sunday morning and baked my little heart out. These cupcakes make me so happy :) they’re so decadent and perfect. Want to know my birthday wish? For you to go make these :)
chocolate cream cheese cupcakes
For the filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the cupcakes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Prepare muffin pan by lining with muffin liners or by spraying with cooking spray.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the ingredients for the filling (except the chocolate chips) until light and fluffy. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. With a whisk or wooden spoon, mix together the dry with the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Fill muffin cups with 2/3 full of batter then spool 1 level tbsp. of filling into the center of each cupcake. Repeat until all batter and filling have been used up.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cake portion comes out clean with a toothpick. Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Saturday 1st of June 2019
My family loves these cupcakes! I had made them many times and I currently making them for my daughters baby shower. I also top them with hersheys chocolate frosting that's on the back of the box. Thank you for this recipe!
Sunday 2nd of June 2019
Great to hear! Thank you!
Monday 25th of June 2018
Can anyone tell me why when I make these my cream cheese mixture sinks?
Tuesday 7th of November 2017
Hi, Your recipe has two listings of sugar, one says granulated sugar and the other one just states sugar. Is there a difference or is it the same kind? Also, reading the ingredient list and your instructions it is not clear what ingredients are specifically for the filling versus the rest of the cupcake. I'm assuming bullet points 1-4/5 are the filling and the rest are the cupcake batter but for those still new to baking further clarification would be helpful in the future. Thanks!
Tuesday 7th of November 2017
Thanks for the feedback. Wrote this back in 2012 when I first started blogging so I agree, ingredients and instructions were horribly written. I will go update now.
Thursday 11th of August 2016
I made these last night for my son's rehearsal dinner tonight. I was worried about the 2 cups of water, but these turned out great. Ran out of the filling before the chocolate cake batter. Just made some plane chocolate and they are yummy as well. Used a less salt and made minnie cup cakes. Nice and moist. Great flavor.
Sunday 24th of July 2016
I am a little confused, your recipe says at the top that the yeild is 2, two cupcakes, two dozen cupcakes? Thanks!
Monday 25th of July 2016
Hi, sorry. When I converted my recipes to a new plugin this year, it didn't bring over everything. Thanks for pointing that out. It's 2 dozen.