Coffee Coconut Milk Ice Cream
I love coconut everyyyyyything. The scent and taste is just so intoxicating. My favorite lotions are laced with coconut so I can pretend I’m in Bali again. Coconut oil as lotion in the winter? Yes, please.
Speaking of Bali and coconuts. The very first day I was there, I was super dehydrated. Like..to the point I was googling hospitals in Bali that my health insurance preferred. I drinking so much water but I couldn’t keep it down so I swore I was going to need an IV or something. I was like “how the heck does health insurance work internationally?!” Basically freaked out and couldn’t function. I almost called the front desk to call for an ambulance. Thankfully, Gina told me I needed some electrolytes in me and to see if they had coconut water. I called the front desk and they were shocked I even asked this question. They were probably like, ‘do you even know where you are right now?’ Anyway, they said they had ‘fresh coconut water’ and I was like, ‘what do you mean by ‘fresh?” and they were like, ‘well, we cut a hole in the center and give you a straw to drink out of.’ I’ve never drunken out of a coconut before so I was pretty stoked. I was SO surprised when they came to my room with this HUGE coconut. It basically saved me from going to the hospital. After about 2 hours, I was a whole new person. Coconuts <3
Obnoxious amount of photos in this post but I couldn’t decide sooo your face gets to be up close and personal with numerous photos of this coffee coconut milk ice cream.
Okay, SO. Inspiration for this ice cream comes from Rose’s Luxury. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the coconut milk ice cream we had when we dined there a couple months ago. It was just freaking amazing. And I was like, this is totally paleo-friendly. Although, I doubt they used coconut sugar but whatever. I knew that MINE was going to be paleo-friendly.
I kind of wish I made this when I was on my paleo diet. So you know, I could’ve had ice cream while on the challenge. Anyway. It’s here now in all its glory and you have to make it because 1. it’s easy and 2. it’s freaking delicious.
My over-excitement over this may or may not be caused by the espresso in this ice cream.
This paleo-friendly coffee coconut milk ice cream is a dream!
- 2: 15.5 ounce cans of full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup cold brew coffee (or alternatively brew a strong cup of coffee)
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Toasted coconut flakes
- In a pot over low heat, add coconut milk, coffee, espresso powder, and coconut sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved and remove from heat.
- Add liquid to a large heat-proof bowl then cover and let sit in the fridge until completely cool, about 4-6 hours.
- Once mixture has cooled, pour mixture into the bowl of the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Churn/freeze ice cream until it is thick.
- Scoop out the soft ice cream and place into a freezer-safe container with a lid, in an even layer, and place into the freezer overnight.
- Prior to scooping, let ice cream stand on counter for 10 minutes before scooping with a warm ice cream scoop.
- Top with toasted coconut flakes, if desired.
Posted on August 21, 2015