Everything Bagel Panko Cod is a flavor packed easy to make weeknight dinner your family will ask for time and time again! Tender, juicy white meat fish is coated in the most delicious crunchy everything bagel inspired mixture and baked to perfection in just half an hour.
We all have a lot to collectively thank Trader Joe’s for, and their everything bagel seasoning is at the top of that list. Its revolutionized the way we season to many different recipes now! If there’s not a TJ’s near you, don’t worry – just about every major brand of seasoning has their own everything bagel seasoning mix now, and they’re all delicious.
As you can see, bagels aren’t the only thing enhanced by this seasoning. I love cod prepared a number of different ways, but with this seasoning might just be my new favorite! The light garlicky taste of everything bagel seasoning combined with the crunchiness of it compliments both the fish and the panko breadcrumbs.
I’ve noticed that salmon recipes are growing in popularity, and while I get it, cod is being pretty heavily slept on! When cooked just right (like in this recipe), it’s juicy and has a mild, not fishy flavor. Let’s be real – nothing is worse than a “fishy” piece of fish! With this easy white fish recipe, you’ll never have that issue.
- Cod filets – Buy them either from a local fishmonger, or fresh from the seafood counter at your local grocery store. Try not to use frozen cod.
- Butter – Unsalted works best here.
- Garlic – If you can help it, use fresh, not pre-minced garlic.
- Olive oil – In a pinch, you can substitute this for avocado oil.
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed will yield the freshest flavor.
- Paprika – I prefer regular paprika, but smoked works too for an added smokey flavor.
- Black pepper – Freshly cracked black pepper has a great flavor to it.
- Basil – You’ll need both dried and fresh basil.
- Shallot – The delicately sweet, yet potent onion flavor shallots have is perfect here.
- Panko bread crumbs – For the most perfect crunch, of course!
- Parmesan cheese – This enhances the flavor of the breading tenfold. Don’t substitute it with another cheese.
- Everything bagel seasoning – Any brand will do the trick!
- Cherry tomatoes – Grape tomatoes can be used instead.
How do I know when the cod is fully cooked?
After about half an hour, the cod should definitely be fully cooked.
If you want to play it safe, use a meat thermometer to check the thickest part of a filet. Once it reads at least 145°F, it’s safe to eat! The consistency at that point should be nice and flaky.
Can I use another type of fish?
Another light, white flakey fish would be ideal. You could do this on haddock or tilapia.
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Yes, definitely! You could air fry the fish and while the fish is cooking, cook the tomatoes down in a skillet.
What should I serve everything bagel seasoning panko cod with?
With the baked cherry tomatoes on the side, I usually consider this meal to be complete all on its own! However, to spruce it up with a side dish, consider making something just as fresh like a Quick Basic Chopped Salad or a Lightened Up Kale Caesar Salad.
Dive into more delicious fish recipes!
Everything Bagel Panko Cod
- 5 cod filets, about 2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Pat cod fillets dry with a paper towel and preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl, combine panko, minced garlic, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons melted butter, paprika, pepper, basil, minced shallot, parmesan cheese, and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to lightly mix. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Add olive oil and tomatoes to a casserole dish. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cut each cod filet horizontally into 3” cuts. Brush cod on all sides with softened butter. Dip both sides of the cod into the herb bread crumb mixture.
- Rest cod fillets atop the tomatoes in the casserole dish. Place onto the center rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and enjoy!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.