This summer, cool off with a refreshing Frozen Mint Julep! You only need 4 simple, inexpensive ingredients to whip up a frozen twist on a Kentucky Derby classic. Each sip of these drinks will make you think of sunshine, summer, and happy days!
I’ll be honest with you – I don’t think about the state of Kentucky a lot. But I’m very grateful for Kentucky nonetheless, because that state is responsible for originating one of my favorite summertime cocktails, the mint julep! And while classic mint juleps aren’t frozen, this recipe is still as simple and authentic as it gets.
If you’ve never had a mint julep, you’re really missing out!
When sipping on one of these frozen cocktails, you mainly taste the slightly sweet, refreshing flavor of mint that will make you feel cooled off even in the hottest of summer heat. Oh, and there’s a pretty nice splash of bourbon in there too, to really make you feel relaxed!
I always advise anyone I serve these to to be careful. These frozen mint juleps are minty with a touch of sweetness, and so icy that they’re unbelievably smooth and easy to drink.
However, that bourbon is strong, even if it’s not the most domineering flavor. So, a warning – these juleps will creep up on you if you’re not careful!
- Mint simple syrup – Can’t find any mint simple syrup at the store? That’s okay, you can make your own! My recipe also calls for a little vanilla, which you can omit or leave in for some added sweetness.
- Bourbon – Keep things authentic by using a Kentucky bourbon! Honestly, there are so many delicious brands of bourbon from Kentucky, it’s hard to pick a favorite. As long as it’s not cheap and from that state, it should be perfect for your cocktails!
- Ice – 5 cups of ice is enough to make these drinks slushy and not too frozen. You need to be able to sip it through a straw, after all.
- Mint sprigs – The perfect garnishes for your frozen mint juleps are fresh mint sprigs, or course!
Variations to try
- Make it a double! While I always encourage drinking responsibly, I won’t judge you for making one of these frozen cocktails even stronger. Just know that the bourbon will be much more noticeable once doubled!
- Add a splash of fresh lemon juice for even more flavor. It’s a tasty, easy way to add a little tartness to the mix.
- Want to make these cocktails even more picturesque? Garnish them with orange slices alongside the mint sprigs.
Thirsty? Take a sip of these summertime cocktails!
Frozen Mint Julep
- ¾ cup mint simple syrup, (just omit the vanilla when making this or keep it for a fun twist!)
- ¾ cup bourbon
- 5 cups ice
- Mint sprigs, as a garnish
- Prepare the mint simple syrup according to recipe instructions. Let it cool down completely.
- Prepare the frozen mint julep. Add the mint syrup, bourbon and ice to the glass of a blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with mint sprigs.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.