Homemade Whipped Body Butter
If you’re into DIY gifts for Christmas, this post is for you! I’m typically not a huge DIY’er by any means (I’m horrible at crafting and doing just about anything DIY) but when I heard about this whipped body butter recipe, I knew I had to make it for some Christmas gifts this year!
I LOVE body butters especially in the winter time because I get extremely dry skin. It’s like as soon as my skin gets any lotion touching it, it soaks it all up like a sponge. Does that sound kinda gross? Anyway, so last year I discovered that coconut oil was going to be my saving grace come winter time so when I saw that this recipe was basically whipped coconut oil and shea butter, a chorus of angels started to sing.
I added my own favorite essential oil, lavender, in there because I shower at night and it’s the perfect lotion to slather on before bed time. Lavender helps calm you down and is very soothing so it’s perfect for bed time :) you’ve gotta make this!
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil in solid form
- 1/2 cup organic raw shea butter
- 15-20 drops lavender essential oil
- Place coconut oil and shea butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the blade attachment. Turn the stand mixer on to low and hold down the stand mixer in case it jumps :) everything should start breaking up soon. Whip the coconut oil and shea butter until it’s all broken up. You’ll still have tiny pieces of shea butter left but that’s ok.
- Switch to the whisk attachment and set the speed to high and let it whip for 5 minutes. The longer you whip it, the fluffier it gets.
- Add the essential oil, whip again to incorporate.
- Fill an 8-ounce glass container with the body butter.
- Label and gift!
Posted on December 10, 2014