Throw the ingredients in your slow cooker before bed and you’ll have warm overnight apple cinnamon oats ready when you wake up.
It seems as if I have “themes” every week, but I swear I don’t plan them out on purpose. I literally have an editorial calendar and as dishes I make are photographed, I plop them in the calendar with no rhyme or reason.
Last week was pizza week and this week is apparently crockpot week. But since it’s pretty much fall and we’ve already whipped out our crockpots, I have for you an amazing breakfast that cooks while you sleep so you get to wake up to a stick-to-your-bones breakfast! Not to mention, this will make your entire house smell like fall.
I kept waking up in the middle of the night from the apple cinnamon smell but it didn’t bother me – my stomach was what was bothering me! It was wanting some of that oatmeal!
I’m going to be making more varieties of this in my crockpot because of all the leftovers I get with it. I love scooping a hefty amount in Tupperware and bringing it into work for a warm breakfast. It’s filling too so I’m not starving by 11am.
Throw the ingredients in your slow cooker before bed and you'll have warm overnight apple cinnamon oats ready when you wake up!
- 3 apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats, heaping
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional garnishes: nuts,dried fruit, bananas
- Coat the inside of your crockpot generously with cooking spray. You will NOT want to miss this step cause otherwise you will be standing over the sink scraping the little sucker.
- Add all the ingredients to the crockpot (minus the garnishes), stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Serve hot and with garnishes, if desired.
- To reheat: put oatmeal in microwave-safe bowl and add a splash or two of milk to re-moisten it up. Zap it for 30 seconds, take it out, stir it around, then zap for another 10-20 seconds.