Throw the ingredients in your slow cooker before bed and you’ll have warm overnight apple cinnamon oats ready when you wake up.
I remember when I first wrote this recipe, overnight oats were just becoming a thing and it’s interesting nearly seven years later, they are still ever-so popular.
There are so many unique “flavors” out there now and even I’ve got some:
Why slow cooker overnight apple cinnamon oats?
Well, in general, overnight oats are one of my favorite things to make because it’s so hands off.
The best way to utilize this is when you’re having overnight guests.
Everyone wakes up at different times and instead of being concerned about, “what’s for breakfast?” if you have a batch of slow cooker overnight apple cinnamon oats ready when everyone wakes up, they can serve themselves a bowl with their coffee.
It helps the entire household out and you won’t have any hangry guests or anyone rummaging through your pantry for something to tame that hunger!
Can I use another fruit?
You could but this is for apple cinnamon oats so maybe another hard fruit that compliments apples well?
Can I use regular old-fashioned oats?
Can I use quick cook oats?
I don’t have apple cider/I can’t find apple cider
You can use apple juice!
Do I have to spray the insert of my slow cooker?
Probably best idea to because otherwise everything gets all sugary caramelized and crusted on the insert and scrubbing is going to be annoying.
You can also use a slow cooker insert liner.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
I haven’t tried this with the pressure cooking function but the slow cooker function on the Instant Pot would work.
Is it safe to have a slow cooker run overnight?
Absolutely. People leave their slow cookers on during the day to cook their meals.
Again, freakier things have happened so I’m not liable for anything.
I kept waking up in the middle of the night from the apple cinnamon smell but it didn’t bother me – my stomach was what was bothering me! It was wanting some of that oatmeal!
I’m going to be making more varieties of this in my crockpot because of all the leftovers I get with it. I love scooping a hefty amount in Tupperware and bringing it into work for a warm breakfast. It’s filling too so I’m not starving by 11am.
Slow Cooker Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oats
- 3 apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats, heaping
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional garnishes: nuts,dried fruit, bananas
- Coat the inside of your crockpot generously with cooking spray. You will NOT want to miss this step cause otherwise you will be standing over the sink scraping the little sucker.
- Add all the ingredients to the crockpot (minus the garnishes), stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Serve hot and with garnishes, if desired.
- To reheat: put oatmeal in microwave-safe bowl and add a splash or two of milk to re-moisten it up. Zap it for 30 seconds, take it out, stir it around, then zap for another 10-20 seconds.