Welcome to peach week on Table for Two! I officially dubbed this week peach week because I realized I coincidentally scheduled three peach recipes to go up this week :) all the recipes this week involve peeling and slicing the peach. If you don’t know how to do it easily, be sure to catch the video tutorial!
One of the best things of summer is the abundance of fruit. I love that I can go to any grocery store and be surrounded with fresh fruit and they’re practically giving it to you for free. Not really, but it’s so much cheaper than buying fruit in the winter so compared to fruit in winter, summer prices are a steal!
When I was young, my dad would always make sure my brother and I ate some kind of fruit after dinner. It was really sweet of him because you could always guarantee at around 7pm, we’d get a serving of fruit all sliced and prepared for us to eat. Not going to lie, when I went to college, I totally missed my daily dose of fruit. One of my favorite fruits are apples and peaches. Hands down I’d always ask for an apple or peach in the summertime when my dad asked what fruit we wanted. I ate so many apples and peaches as a kid, I feel like I should’ve turned into one, haha
This peach and toasted almond ice cream is fantastic. It’s got the most intense peach flavor and super creamy. The toasted almonds add really nice texture to the ice cream. This peach and toasted almond ice cream and my blackberry chip ice cream are perfect summer ice cream flavors.
I mentioned this earlier, but yesterday, I posted a quick how-to video tutorial on how to peel peaches really easily. I decided to make this how-to video because all the peach recipes I’m sharing with you this week (including this one) require you to peel and slice the peaches. I figured we’d all benefit from a video tutorial, am I right? If you missed it, here it is. Click here!
Peach and Toasted Almond Ice Cream
- 1 pound peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a blender, pulse half the peaches with 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the remaining peaches and pulse until almost smooth. You don't want it to be completely pureed because you want some texture in the ice cream! Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup of sugar until pale yellow, about 1-2 minutes; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the half-and-half over medium heat until just simmering, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk about one-quarter of the hot half-and-half into the yolk mixture to temper it.
- Whisk the yolk mixture into the half-and-half in the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Do NOT boil.
- Strain the warm egg mixture through a fine-mes sieve into the peach puree. Stir to combine, then whisk in the almond extract. Cover tightly with saran wrap and pop in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight to cool completely.
- Once ready, pour the mixture into the bowl of the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the chopped almonds when the ice cream is almost done churning, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight before serving. Serve with extra almonds on top.