Doesn’t this look like mac ‘n cheese? I made this pumpkin mascarpone orecchiette with spicy sausage and broccolini and at the end, I totally thought it was a mac ‘n cheese fake out. When I was photographing this dish, Jason came over and was like, ‘oh! you made mac ‘n cheese!’ haha noooope.
A couple weeks ago, I mentioned in my pumpkin eggplant casserole with burrata that this pumpkin season, I was going to show you all the ways you could use pumpkin for savory dishes. This pumpkin mascarpone orecchiette with spicy sausage and broccolini is another way and boy, is it like pumpkin dinner dreams come true!
This past Saturday, we drove up to Pennsylvania for a family wedding. It was a super quick trip but we were able to see family and most importantly, we got to see Jason’s grandparents. Can you believe that his grandparents have been married for 71 years? We heard some really memorable and funny stores of his grandparents and the memories were just priceless. I caught a candid video on his grandpa being a kid at heart playing with bubbles. It was adorable!
We left Winston for the day and my friend came over to watch him. It was so sad because he freaked out because he thought it was going to be us returning but it was someone else that showed up. His ears were back and he was so scared he peed all over the pillow and his bed :( poor little guy. I hate leaving him.
Okay back to this glorious dinner. The pumpkin and mascarpone together is basically perfection. They’re both so creamy and together, they compliment each other so well. The spicy sausage gives this dish that spicy, salty bite and I’ve been a huge fan of broccolini these days so it got thrown in here too. Oh, and there is a surprise pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg that completely finishes this dish. Gah, I just know that you will absolutely love this pasta dish this Fall.
Omg. So cozy.
Savory pumpkin dishes are the way to go this Fall if you're in a dinner rut!
- 2 1/2 cups dried orecchiette pasta
- 0.75 pounds fresh spicy sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups chopped broccolini
- Pinch of ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to the instructions on the box.
- In the meantime, brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break into pieces with a wooden spoon.
- When the sausage is done cooking, if there is a lot of fat and oil, feel free to drain.
- Whisk pumpkin and mascarpone cheese into the skillet with the sausage and stir until mascarpone cheese has melted completely and the consistency is smooth.
- Once pasta is done cooking, scoop it out of the pot with a slotted spoon and add to the skillet with the rest of the ingredients. Toss to coat pasta with the pumpkin, mascarpone and sausage mixture.
- Using the pasta liquid, blanch the broccolini for 3-4 minutes and then, using a slotted spoon, add the drained broccolini to the skillet.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the skillet and toss to incorporate everything.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.