There’s so many things to tell you about this cheesy beefy pasta shells recipe.
First, if you’ve heard the song WAP then this pasta dish’s sound when you stir will make sense when Cardi B talks about macaroni in a pot, LOL
Second, the reason why this cheesy beefy pasta shell dish sounds like macaroni in a pot is because well, the sauce is creamy and thick and it covers the pasta shells so well.
It envelopes everything in this dish and gives it that comforting kick that you need in the dead of winter.
It sticks to ya. It’s hearty, beefy, cheesy, and everything you dream of in a cozy pasta dish.
The secret to this thick and creamy sauce
I KNOW, I KNOW.
Some might think it’s gross and some might embrace it.
I’m the latter. I haven’t cooked with it in ages but I recently went to buy a block for a recipe I was making and I legit had no idea where it was in the store, haha – I didn’t realize it wasn’t refrigerated.
Anyway, I embraced that Velveeta creates the most luscious and creamy sauce and you don’t really use that much either so it’s not terrible.
I know a bunch of you will probably ask if you can replace this with something and I would say just replace it with regular cheddar cheese (shredded).
What you’ll need for cheesy beefy pasta shells
- 85/15 ground beef
- Large onion
- Red bell pepper
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Tomato sauce
- Beef stock
- Medium shells pasta
Other cheesy pasta recipes
Cheesy Beefy Pasta Shells
Servings are adjustable but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings.
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 cups dried medium shells pasta
- 4 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a dutch oven, or similar, brown ground beef and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and seasonings. Stir and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, beef stock, and pasta shells. Stir to incorporate then bring to a low simmer. Cover, stirring occasionally, cook until pasta is done.
- Remove from heat and add Velveeta and stir to melt and incorporate. Season with salt, to taste.