Red, red, wiiiiiiine. Goes to my heeaaaad. Makes me forget that I…should be writing a blog post and not singing to you guys…..haha, but really, do you remember that song by UB40?! I’m sure you do, it’s a classic! Every time I have red wine or see red wine, that song plays in my head as if it’s some commercial.
It’s Friday! Which means wine-o-clock soon (er, now?) but I’m presenting you wine in cupcake form!! It’s so good and it gave me a buzz, LOL. I’m really light weight so making these (and tasting them along the way) gave me a buzz and then after eating nothing all day and downing 2 of these babies after frosting them…wooo! I was definitely feeling it, haha!
These cupcakes are SUPER moist, as you can tell from my first picture, but if you’re thinking they’re one of those boozy treats that have that subtle alcohol taste – well, this isn’t one of them. You can DEFINITELY taste the wine in this so you’ll want to use some good red wine – well, not super good, but you know, something you’d drink! No boxed wine, you college girl, you ;) The frosting is light and fluffy and has that subtle cheesecake-like bite. So delish!! I mean – wine and chocolate together in a cupcake is such a WINNER!
So, what’s everyone doing this weekend? It’s Jason & I’s third dating anniversary on Sunday. Whaaaat?! Yeah, and we’re getting married in less than 2 months. Crazy!! I’m working on addressing invitations this weekend and sending them out on Monday. Although, I must say, I’m not really confident that they’ll all get to their recipients cause when I went to the post office earlier this week to ask them how much postage it’d take to send my invites and I handed them to the lady, she kept touching it, feeling it, weighing it..and then just threw out “66 cents.” I feel like she just made that up!! I should totally get a second opinion – right?!
I hope you have a fantabulous weekend! See you back here on Monday….for yet another boozy treat ;) I meaaannn, c’mon – you gotta get through the case of the Monday’s somehow!!
Red Wine Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ¾ cup red wine, any kind you like
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the frosting
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners or lightly grease the cavities.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Then add in the egg and egg yolk, beating well, then add the red wine and vanilla. Don't worry if the batter looks a little uneven.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until all combined and well-incorporated.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, divide batter into lined muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, to make the frosting, whip together mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, and granulated sugar until soft peaks form. Put frosting into piping bag with whichever tip you choose, or you can put it into a ziploc bag and snip the corner and pipe that way. Make sure cupcakes are completely cool before you pipe. You don't want to end up with a melted mess :)
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.