You won’t find many chicken recipes that are more flavorful than this Sweet Chili Glazed Grilled Chicken! Chicken thighs are marinated in a sweet and spicy concoction that’s later used to also glaze them. Sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, and more blend together to create a medley of deliciously bold flavors that make this grilled chicken recipe one of my all time favorites!
If you’re looking for a grilled chicken thigh recipe that seriously checks every box in the flavor department, you’ve found it! The chicken thighs in this recipe are marinated first for about 2 hours (or longer, if you have the time), then grilled to perfection before being glazed with even more of that very same marinade.
The marinade/glaze consists of sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, apple cider vinegar, and a large amount of garlic. When all of the ingredients are measured with care, the flavor palate here should be equal parts spicy and sweet, which is what makes it so good! The soy sauce lends some savory depth and saltiness to it as well, which really does wonders for the overall flavor.
Because I’m so obsessed, I always make sure to reserve as much glaze as I can. That way, when I serve my Sweet Chili Glazed Grilled Chicken, there’s some glaze on the side for dipping. When you taste how good the glaze is, you’ll also want to have a little extra! It’s not like the chicken needs it for extra flavor or moisture, though – it’s already boldly flavored and never turns out dry.
What You’ll Need:
- Chicken Thighs – They need to be boneless and skinless.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – My favorite one to use is Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. I don’t recommend the Heinz one.
- Soy Sauce – To avoid the glaze turning out salty, use low sodium soy sauce.
- Sriracha – Add more sriracha if you’d prefer spicier chicken.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This adds both sweetness and tangy flavor, so don’t substitute it with any other vinegar.
- Garlic – You’ll need about 5 cloves of fresh garlic. Don’t use pre-minced!
How to Make Sweet Chili Glazed Grilled Chicken
For more detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Marinate the chicken. Whisk all of the ingredients for the marinade together, then coat the chicken with it. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Grill the chicken. Grill the chicken on a hot grill, flipping until it’s fully cooked. Brush with marinade as you go to keep it flavorful and not dried out.
Create the glaze. Gently boil the remaining marinade in a small pot on your stove top. Let it cook until reduced and thickened.
Serve. Brush the chicken with the glaze and serve with green onions on top. Enjoy!
Can I use chicken breasts instead? Yes, but the grill time will differ as chicken thighs are smaller. You’ll need to spend more time cooking chicken breasts. Use a meat thermometer to ensure they cook all the way to 165°F.
What if I can’t find the Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce? Most stores carry it now and if you haven’t looked yet, check out the international section. If it’s a problem trying to secure it, a similar one works. I would stick to a more Asian-style sweet chili sauce as opposed to an American one.
Can this be made on the stovetop? Yes, you can definitely make this on the stovetop. Just be aware it won’t have that tasty char that is unique to a grill.
Can I save the marinade for later use? Yes, since you boiled it on the stovetop, it is safe to save the marinade, if you have any leftover.
How long will Sweet Chili Glazed Grilled Chicken stay fresh? In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
More grilled chicken? Yes, please!
Sweet Chili Glazed Grilled Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
For the sauce:
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce, (Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce if you can find it or something similar)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Heaping tablespoon of minced garlic, about 5 cloves of garlic
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Whisk sauce/marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken thighs to the bowl and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready, preheat outdoor grill to high. Place chicken thighs onto grill and cook on one side until it is ready to flip. Reserve ½ cup of marinade to brush onto chicken thighs throughout the grilling process. Cook chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 °F
- While the chicken thighs are grilling, in a small sauce pot, pour the remaining marinade in and bring to a gentle boil. Let gently boil/simmer until sauce has thickened, reduced by half.
- Serve chicken with additional glaze/sauce brushed on top and save additional sauce for dipping. Garnish with green onions on top.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.