Crispy grilled chicken wings are juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside! I love the extra flavor that the outdoor grill gives these chicken wings. If you’re looking for an easy chicken wing recipe, this is it!
Despite the summer heat, you’ll want to fire up the grill for these crispy grilled chicken wings! I’m not lying when I say they’re so juicy, tender, and have that perfect crispy exterior! They’re absolutely perfect for any occasion — cookout, game day, block parties, whatever!
Now, I beg the question: are you a drums or flats person?
I used to be a drums person but now I’m all about the flats! Although, who am I to discriminate on this? All chicken wings are good and I will take what I can get!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken wings – drums and flats!
- Avocado oil – I prefer using this because of its high smoke point.
- Salt and pepper
- BBQ or buffalo sauce for serving and dipping – ranch, blue cheese, or your favorite dipping sauce works here too!
How to make crispy grilled chicken wings
Be sure to check out the recipe card below for full detailed instructions.
Preheat the grill to high then brush the wings with oil.
Grill for 10-12 minutes per side, depending on size of wings.
Brush and serve with sauce!
Tips for success
- Use a grill brush or a paper towel to lightly grease your grill with oil before cooking.
- Add different seasonings, like lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, etc. to change up the flavor profile.
- You can also coat the wings in sauce after grilling, or just serve on side.
Can I use frozen chicken wings? You can use frozen but I would let them thaw before throwing them on the grill.
Can I make these in the oven or air fryer instead? You can! They just won’t have that grilled smoky flavor you get with grilling. If you’re going to do an oven or air fryer, I would do 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes then flip and check every 10 minutes.
How do I know these are cooked through? The internal temperature should be at 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to take the temperature of the meat close to the bone(s) as that’s where it takes a bit longer to cook!
What dipping sauces for these chicken wings? I’m bias but creamy cilantro lime dipping sauce would be excellent! BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce, ranch, blue cheese, hot sauce, your favorite!
How do I store leftovers? I would store leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days in the refrigerator. To reheat, pop them in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes!
More grilling recipes that you’d love
Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- 3–4 pounds chicken wings, ~12 flats and 12 drumsticks
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Your favorite sauce for serving/dipping
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat your grill to 450 °F – 500 °F
- Brush the wings with avocado oil, then sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Flip them over and repeat the process.
- Grill for 10-12 minutes per side with the lid to your grill closed, making sure the thermometer on your grill stays between 450 °F °F – 500 °F, for a total cook time of 20-24 minutes.
- If your wings are on the larger side, you might need to extend the cooking time per side up to 15 minutes.
- Serve with buffalo or barbecue sauce, and an optional sprinkle of herbs on top.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.