This homemade mac and cheese casserole is one of our favorite dinner ideas for two! It’s decadent, rich, creamy, loaded with melty cheese, and sprinkled with crispy bacon.
The Ultimate Baked Mac and Cheese for Two
I know, I know, it’s July and you may not want to turn on that oven. But after you hear what’s in this recipe, you’ll want to crank up that oven and whip up this ultimate mac and cheese casserole for you and your special someone!
It can be tricky to create a pasta casserole for two, but I’ve done the hard work for ya ;) This easy, cheesy baked mac and cheese is full of all the good stuff: Gruyere. White cheddar. Bacon. Lots and lots of bacon. Need I say more?!
Plus, it bakes up in just 30 minutes, and you don’t really need a whole lot of prep, either. So not only is it the perfect mini casserole for you and your sweetie, but it’s fast to the table, too!
I know we have a long way to go until Valentine’s Day, but if you need an excuse to have a date night at home, this incredible mac and cheese casserole is a good enough reason. This easy dinner recipe is made from tender pasta tossed with the best combination of melty cheese, sprinkled with crumbled crispy bacon. So delicious!
Easy Mac and Cheese Casserole for Two
- 2 cups (150 g) orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup (237 ml) milk
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup (113 g) sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of crispy bacon, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (191 °C) and lightly grease a 2-quart ovensafe casserole dish. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, following the directions on the pasta package. You’ll want it to still have a bite to it because it will finish cooking in the oven.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes while whisking vigorously so it doesn’t burn. Continue to whisk as you add the milk, then let the mixture gently come to a simmer and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Gruyere and white cheddar cheeses to the skillet and stir together with a spatula until all the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- At this point, the pasta should be done cooking. Drain well and add to the cheese sauce. Gently toss the pasta with the cheese sauce until everything is covered. Sprinkle half the bacon mixture into the skillet and toss to incorporate.
- Pour pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining bacon pieces, and then place, uncovered, in oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and pasta is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.