We’re in the midst of preparing our house to go on the market. With that comes a lot of little touchups and repairs. Thankfully, it hasn’t been a whole lot of stuff but oh my gosh, we wanted to rip our hair out yesterday with the PAINT!
The previous owner of this house left every single can of paint color that they used in this house for us. They even labeled everything, like what room each paint was for. We are utterly thankful for that because you simply don’t meet very many homeowners that do that kind of stuff for others anymore. Of course, the one paint color that we need cannot be found or matched with any of the paints that were left for us (I swear this would only happen to us). And of course it’s a shade of white and who knew there were so many freaking shades of WHITE. We dabbed this one shade of white that we thought matched but it was way too “bright.” But in the can it looked like it’d be perfect. We then decided to take a paint chip into Lowe’s to have them match it on the computer and then buy a quart of it. They were able to match it and we bought it and brought it home….but it was like too “dark.” When we actually painted it on the ceiling, it was like a dingy yellow color that made it looked like there was water damage on the ceiling. So now we’re thinking maybe we could mix that color with a white that we have and maybe it’ll match up? Gah – anyone have experience with this?? It’s literally a handful of spots on the ceiling that we need to touchup and it is not worth hiring a professional for this….or is it??
Are you sick of Thanksgiving leftovers yet? We didn’t have any leftovers this year because we went out to eat due to the circumstances of this Thanksgiving. I’m oddly missing the days of leftovers. Go figure.
Well, if you’re sick of Thanksgiving leftovers, totally give yourself a break and make this whole wheat penne with broccoli rabe, chicken sausage, and sundried tomatoes! The nutty whole wheat penne pairs so well with the chicken sausage and broccoli rabe. The sundried tomatoes give that tang and bite. There’s no actual sauce with this pasta. Just tossed in olive oil, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon. Light and refreshing!
Grab a bowl, fork, and your appetite! You won’t be sad to say goodbye to Thanksgiving leftovers for one night ;)
Whole Wheat Penne with Broccoli Rabe, Chicken Sausage, and Sundried Tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups dried whole wheat penne pasta
- 9 ounces sundried tomato and basil flavored chicken sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 ounces julienned sun dried tomatoes
- 6 ounces broccoli rabe
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese shavings, for topping (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then follow directions on pasta package for cooking instructions. Once pasta is done cooking, scoop pasta out with slotted spoon and place into a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick together. Keep pasta water in the pot and keep it simmering.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Once heated up, add the sausage rounds and brown on both sides.
- Add garlic, onion, and sun dried tomatoes to the skillet. Cook until softened and fragrant.
- With the remaining pasta water, blanch the broccoli rabe for about 3-5 minutes. Then drain and add broccoli rabe to the skillet with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the juice of a lemon, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Toss in additional olive oil then remove from heat and serve.