I can’t believe it’s almost been a week since we moved into our new place. I found a new area of the house to take my pictures (bear with me for a few weeks while some of the recipes are still using photographs from our apartment days) and we have SO.MUCH. natural light. We’re in a townhouse that’s the end-unit and our walls are covered with WINDOWS! It’s absolutely amazing. So yeah, you can imagine the excitement every time I take pictures now. That is until winter time, and when that rolls around, I’m going to have to likely chase sunlight.
So lately, I’ve been trying to eat better. I talked about in my previous posts how I’ve been gaining unnecessary weight due to this food blogging. Well, new plan, y’all. I’ve decided to cook healthier and if I don’t cook healthy, I plan on portion controlling. I also have been making desserts for the blog and just giving them away. I downloaded My Fitness Pal to my iPhone last week and I’ve been really good about keeping track of what I eat. It helps me because you realize if you don’t portion control, you take in so many more calories (I know this is a given but sometimes you tend to forget if you don’t have something or an app helping you out). I feel like someone is always “watching” me so I don’t eat as much because then I’ll be judged haha
I’ve been seeing stuffed peppers pop up all over the place and I hear they’re healthy too, if you combine the right amount of ingredients. So I decided to give it a shot and make some. Seriously, they’re so good. I love that you get the sweet pepper taste and also all the stuffing that is inside. I tried to go a little “Mexican” on it by adding taco seasoning to the meat and onions. This also is really filling. I was full after one half of a pepper. Jason loved it and I think he had 1 1/2 peppers! I used ground turkey for a healthier spin on it and turkey is really moist so none of this came out dry. Super easy to make and very versatile! Traditionally I think they’re filled with rice, but I omitted it. I’ve seen it done with quinoa too!
Stuffed peppers with a little Mexican twist!
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 large bell peppers, halved, de-seeded
- 1 cup of shredded cheese, I used Monterrey jack
- On a large baking sheet, place your pepper halves on them, upright and drizzle olive oil all over them and bake them in the oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are blistering and getting slightly translusent around the edges. Set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, saute your onions in a tbsp or two of olive oil until soft. Then add in the ground turkey. Cook the turkey and onions all the way through and then add the taco seasoning. Stir to combine then add in the beans and corn.
- Cook for about 5 minutes longer then remove from heat.
- Take the (cooled) halves of peppers and place them in a small casserole dish then using a spoon, scoop the filling inside the peppers. Overstuffing is a good thing :)
- Sprinkle a good amount of cheese on top of the filling, enough to cover it all, then place under the broiler on high until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Posted on June 08, 2012