Careful. This decadent Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake might just become your new favorite. Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake is topped with luscious caramel sauce and a layer of fluffy Cool Whip. Finish it off with a sprinkle of chopped Heath Bar and you’ve got yourself a dessert to die for.
There is something so delightful about chocolate cake. It is rich, flavorful, and well-loved by most. This recipe takes it to the next level. Devil’s Chocolate Cake serves as the base for the dessert. The cake is then doused in luscious caramel sauce, making it moist, gooey, and even more decadent. Sounds good enough already, right? But I’m not finished yet! The caramel-soaked cake is then topped with a fluffy layer of Cool Whip and sprinkled with a favorite, crunchy childhood candy, Heath Bar, giving it a whimsical quality that harkens back to the inner kiddo in all of us.
This recipe is so easy to throw together and is an instant crowd favorite. You might just be bringing it to all of your upcoming gatherings…or not…it’s equally as likely that you will want to keep it all for yourself.
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Cake
- It. Is. SO. Easy. Literally, all you have to do is follow the instructions on the back of a Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake box and top it with caramel sauce, a hefty layer of Cool Whip, and a sprinkling of chopped candy bar.
- Versatility. Better than Sex Chocolate Cake is a great base recipe for a creative mind. You could easily swap out the Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake for another boxed cake mix you like. You could use a chocolate sauce instead of caramel or a different candy bar to top. Feel free to play! Or, if you’re not feeling chocolate, you could try my Better than Sex Pumpkin Cake!
- Good for any level of culinary mastery. This recipe is so simple. That being said, you CAN get fancy if you want to. For those of you looking to work a little harder for your cake, you can make your own whipped cream instead of using Cool Whip and/or your own caramel sauce. If you are feeling extremely adventurous, you can even make your own cake. Try my Freaking Easy Chocolate Cake recipe.
What Is Better Than Sex Cake?
Better than Sex Cake is a beginner-friendly recipe featuring Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake, a dousing of caramel sauce, and a layer of fluffy Cool Whip all topped with a sprinkling of chopped Heath Bar. Why is it called “Better than Sex”? I’ll let you try it for yourself.
- Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix – Not just the mix. Make sure to pick up all of the ingredients required to make the cake. You can find those listed on the box.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Caramel sauce – Experiment with salted and unsalted. They are both great, but people often prefer one over the other. If you have time to make your own caramel sauce, check out my recipe here. Otherwise, a store-bought version will do just fine.
- Cool Whip – Make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours before adding it to the cake.
- Heath Bar – Give it a nice chop or pulse it through the food processor so that it sprinkles easily.
How to Make Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake
Have a look at the recipe card below for more details, but here is a basic rundown of how to make this simple, delicious Better than Sex Cake.
- Make the cake. Follow the instructions on the back of the Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake box to a tee. I suggest using a 9×13-inch pan like this one.
- Prep the cake for topping. Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the prepared cake right after it comes out of the oven. Make sure not to poke all the way through!
- Time for the caramel sauce. Add the condensed milk and caramel sauce to a bowl and mix until combined. Pour the mixture slowly over the entire cake, aiming for even distribution.
- Chill. Let the cake cool down. You want it to get to room temperature. Once it has cooled, pop the whole thing in the refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
- Assemble. Remove the caramel sauce doused cake from the refrigerator and cover it in Cool Whip. Use a rubber spatula to smooth the whipped topping into an even blanket over the whole cake. Sprinkle the chopped Heath Bar over the Cool Whip and…voila!
Tips for Success
Better than Sex Chocolate Cake is sure to wow no matter what, but there are a few tips and tricks that, if followed, will really send it over the top.
- Don’t poke all the way through the cake. When poking holes in the cake, it is important not to poke all the way through. Poking all the way through will lead the caramel-condensed milk mixture to leak out of the bottom of the cake, causing a loss of flavor and a downright mess.
- Make your own caramel sauce. I 100% stand behind store-bought caramel sauce, but, if you have time, I encourage making your own. My recipe for Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce only takes 20 minutes and will blow your mind.
- Think ahead and thaw the Cool Whip. This light and fluffy whipped topping will not spread properly if it has not been thawed. Move the container from the freezer to the refrigerator at least 3.5 hours before spreading.
- Don’t skip the chill. It’s tempting to skip the chilling step to get to enjoying the cake sooner. This won’t do you any favors, though. Not allowing the caramel sauce-covered cake to chill before adding the other ingredients will cause the Cool Whip to melt, making the whole dessert a soppy mess.
Can This BTS Cake Be Made in Advance?
Once you add the caramel sauce and the Cool Whip to this delicious dessert, you will want to eat it quite quickly, otherwise, it will become soggy. That being said, you can make the Devil’s Food Cake portion of this dessert ahead of time and refrigerate it. When it comes time to serve, poke holes in the cake and add the caramel sauce, Cool Whip, and Heath Bar topping.
Serve this Better than Sex Cake after your favorite meal. It is an excellent option if you are hosting a party or bringing dessert to a potluck. As with any chocolate dessert, this one goes well with a big glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Interested in mixing it up? You can crumble Oreos, peanut butter cookies, or another favorite and add it to the chopped Heath Bar topping.
How to Store Leftovers
If left on the counter or in the refrigerator for too long after adding the caramel sauce and Cool Whip, this cake becomes soggy. You can store it in the refrigerator for a day or two (just wrap the pan in saran wrap to keep the air out), but if you would like to store it any longer, I suggest utilizing the freezer. See my notes below.
Can I Freeze Better Than Anything Cake?
Absolutely! But do it right away if you would like to avoid a soggy cake. Simply wrap the whole cake pan (or the portion you would like to store) in saran wrap and place it in the freezer. It should be good for up to 3 months. When it comes time to serve, allow the Better than Sex Cake to thaw in the refrigerator for several hours.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes:
Chocolate in cake form? You can’t go wrong. There are so many kinds of chocolate cake out there. This Better than Sex Chocolate Cake is a crowd-pleaser, but consider exploring some other options as well. Here are some of my favorites.
- Freaking Easy Chocolate Cake
- Espresso Chocolate Mug Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mug Cake
- Mini Chocolate Malt Cake for Two
- Red Wine Chocolate Cupcakes
Better than Sex Chocolate Cake
- 15 ounce boxed Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix, including all the ingredients on the box needed to make the cake
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounce jar of caramel sauce topping, salted or unsalted; homemade or store-bought
- 8 ounce container of Cool Whip, thawed
For the topping:
- 1 cup Heath toffee bits or 4 Heath bars roughly chopped
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions and bake in a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Once cake is done baking, immediately poke holes into the cake. I recommend using the end of a wooden spoon. Do not poke all the way through to the bottom because you don’t want all the milk or caramel spilling into the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk or stir together the condensed milk and caramel sauce then drizzle the mixture evenly over the cake and the holes. Allow the cake to cool at room temp then pop in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Once the cake is chilled, spread Cool Whip all over the top of the cake then sprinkle on the Heath bar pieces.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.