You all know how much I love espresso/coffee-flavored things.
I try to combine coffee and chocolate all the time in my recipes because I just love how it tastes.
Well, here we are. An espresso chocolate mug cake to give me (and you) that coffee + chocolate flavor satisfaction!
As you all know, I’m kind of a big deal with my recipe for chocolate mug cake.
It’s the most popular recipe on my site because it is so incredibly easy to make and the best single-serving dessert!
Mug cake flavors
I have several mug cake flavors on my site so whatever you are feeling, you will be sure to get your quick dessert fix!
- The famous chocolate mug cake
- Vanilla mug cake
- Dark chocolate mug cake
- Peanut butter chocolate mug cake
- Salted caramel apple spice mug cake
- Pumpkin spice mug cake
And now, this espresso chocolate mug cake where you get coffee and chocolate in every single bite!
Oh you guys, it is so good and so decadent.
It’s of course amazing topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, too!
What is a mug cake?
I still seem to get this question a lot so I’ll just clear it up before we get into the nitty gritty.
A mug cake is literally as it sounds. A cake that is made in a mug.
A microwave-safe mug! This is not one for the oven.
Is this one still without eggs?
Yes, this one is still egg-free!
Can I make this in the oven?
This recipe for espresso chocolate mug cake is specifically for the microwave.
I can’t find espresso powder.
You could grind up some coffee beans and substitute that.
What kind of espresso powder?
Honestly, any kind works in this since you are just mixing it with the dry ingredients.
I used instant espresso powder.
Can I grind up espresso beans and use that instead?
Yes, I would do a very fine grind.
Can I pour espresso shots into the batter instead?
You could but you would likely need to make sure that the flour to liquid ratio is correct otherwise your batter will be really runny and it would take longer to cook.
Will this mug cake keep me up at night?
Depends on how sensitive to caffeine you are.
If you are sensitive, then I suggest using decaf or having another mug cake flavor.
Can I put something else in the center of the mug cake?
Espresso Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit sweeter)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Whisk in the milk and vegetable oil until all ingredients are combined and batter has no clumps.
- Pour batter into a microwave-safe mug. Mine was a 14-ounce mug. You want enough head space for the cake to rise without pouring over.
- Add mini chocolate chips in the middle of the batter. Just drop it in the middle, no need to push it down and sink it in the batter. It does that on its own when it cooks! :)
- Place a paper towel into the microwave and set the mug on top (this is to catch any batter if your mug cake overflows).
- Microwave mug cake for 70 seconds on high (PLEASE READ NOTES CAREFULLY BELOW)
- Carefully remove from microwave and enjoy!
Photography by Molly Krebs