This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
BLT Pasta Salad is equal parts savory and freshly flavored! Pasta is tossed with classic BLT ingredients like crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and juicy tomatoes. Creamy ranch flavored dressing brings it all together in every seriously satisfying bite!
This summer, show up in the most delicious way to your next picnic when you have this BLT Pasta Salad in tow. It’s not your average pasta salad… Unless, of course, your go-to pasta salad recipe already calls for classic BLT ingredients and a creamy ranch dressing!
What I love about this pasta salad recipe is that it’s pretty refreshing from the fresh lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and bold red onions. That way, you can eat it in the heat of the summer without feeling like it’s too heavy. With that being said, the crispy bacon and ranch flavors definitely help you satisfy your savory cravings.
BLT Pasta Salad is the definition of a crowd pleaser. It’s got a little something in there for everyone, and I mean really – who doesn’t like bacon?! You can even make this recipe vegan by swapping out the mayo, sour cream, and bacon for plant based substitutes if that better fits your needs. No matter how you toss it all together, people are going to love this summer ready pasta salad!
What You’ll Need:
- Pasta – I use cavatappi, but you can opt for any other short pasta.
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayo will create the best consistency.
- Sour Cream – Just like the mayo, try not to go low fat here – but it’s okay if you do!
- Ranch Seasoning – I stick with the classics – Hidden Valley is my go-to ranch seasoning.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This adds both tangy and sweet flavors.
- Salt – Use kosher (coarse) salt, not iodized.
- Pepper – Freshly cracked black pepper yields the best flavor.
- Lettuce – Rinse and pat dry the romaine lettuce before chopping it.
- Tomatoes – You can use any chopped tomato you have on hand, such as roma, heirloom, or beefsteak.
- Bacon – I use pork bacon, but you can use turkey or even a plant based substitute.
- Red Onion – Don’t substitute these onions with any other color!
- Try adding a few handfuls of shredded cheddar!
How to Make BLT Pasta Salad
For more detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Cook the pasta. Follow the package directions, then drain the pasta and set it aside.
Soak the onion. Slice the onion, then soak the slices in ice water. Drain and set aside.
Make the dressing. Whisk together the mayo, sour cream, ranch, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Toss the pasta salad. Toss together the pasta, 3/4 of the dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and onions.
Chill. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
Enjoy! Before serving, toss the pasta salad with more dressing.
Can I make BLT Pasta Salad ahead of time? This pasta salad is best served the same day, but there is a way you can make it a day before serving. Just prepare everything accordingly, except for the lettuce! The lettuce wilts after a while once it’s tossed with the dressing, so don’t add it until you’re ready to serve.
What types of pasta can I use? Any short pasta will work. Cellentani and cavatappi are corkscrew shape, and are readily available. Rotini, gemelli, bowtie, or elbows will work great as well. Just cook according to package directions.
Why do you soak the onions in ice water? This takes some of the bite and sharpness out of the onion so you aren’t still tasting it two days after eating it!
Store leftovers covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Leftover pasta salad the next day will have wilted lettuce in it. You can pick it out if you’d like, and refresh with some freshly chopped romaine. Don’t like romaine? Try using fresh spinach instead.
Don’t forget to pack these salads in your picnic basket!
BLT Pasta Salad
- 4 cups cavatappi, or other short pasta, dry
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 packet ranch seasoning, I like Hidden Valley
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions in heavily salted water. Drain pasta, rinse under cold water until cool. Set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, soak the sliced onion in ice water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch seasoning, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- In an extra large bowl, toss together the pasta, about ¾ of the dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and onions.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours. Just before serving, toss with a few more tablespoons of the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Thursday 16th of June 2022
I made this yesterday because it was hot and I wanted an easy meal that didn't require turning on the oven. I LOVED THIS PASTA SALAD! It's the perfect mix of cool, creamy, and crispy. It was a cinch to make and super duper tasty. I'll definitely be making it again!
Friday 17th of June 2022
what a perfect way to cool down! i'm so glad you enjoyed this