So, it snowed this past weekend. That was all sorts of lovely. Maybe now with global warming the new saying will be, “April snow showers will bring May flowers.” haha
If you’re experiencing the unusually colder April weather or just looking for a great springtime dish, this one is calling your name! This arugula spinach pesto orzo salad is loaded with veggies and flavor. We loved serving this cold but it’s also great warm. This would make an excellent picnic dish or to bring to an outdoor potluck that has a nice pop of color. Nothing in this dish would spoil and it’s great at any temperature. I promise you that everyone will be going back for seconds and you’ll be leaving with an empty bowl!
Arugula Spinach Pesto Orzo Salad
- ½ pound orzo pasta
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into thirds
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, diced
- 8 ounces roasted baby beets, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ⅔ cup arugula spinach pesto, (add 7 ounces of baby spinach to the recipe for arugula pesto and add more olive oil if needed)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook orzo pasta according to directions on package. Reserve the liquid and just use a slotted spoon to drain the pasta and place into a large bowl.
- Use the same water that you cooked the orzo in and bring up to a simmer and add asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes then drain well and place asparagus in an ice bath (bowl of water with ice in it). Once asparagus has cooled, add to pasta bowl.
- Add the diced red peppers, beets, red onion, and arugula spinach pesto to the pasta bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir all together until everything is coated in the pesto.
- Top with shaved parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm or cover and pop in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.