This was what my heart was doing on Saturday.
OOZING WITH SWEET LOVE.
It’s like a river of goop
But it was so freakin’ delicious
First, thanks everyone for the congratulations. You all are so sweet and I love my Twitter/blogging family :) We’re very excited to start wedding planning!
Second, can you believe this dessert? The second I saw this, I knew I had to make it. I just love that there is ooey gooey caramel OOZING out of every part of this brownie. It’s also the messiest dessert I’ve ever made too. Just remember: USE LOTS OF OIL/GREASE, lol..it’ll prevent all the sticking!
The brownie part of this dessert is so chocolatey decadent and the caramel part just takes it to a whole ‘nother level of sweetness and mellows out the dark chocolate flavor. It’s such a match made in heaven. You must make this some day! I ended up storing mine in the fridge after I took these shots and it’s even BETTER when they’re hardened. The bottom layer of the brownie forms into a hardness kinda like fudge and the middle is still gooey and stringy when you bite into it and then the top layer is still soft — not too hard. Ugh, it’s amazing.
Caramel Filled Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, 2 sticks
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the caramel filling:
- 14 oz caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil REALLY WELL, like coat it until it's dripping in butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl on a make-shift double boiler. Heat, stirring occasionally, until all is completely melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Whisk in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well incorporated. Then whisk in flour and salt until just combined.
- Spread about half the brownie batter into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven (keep the oven on) and let the brownie layer cool for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the caramel filling by combining the caramel candies and cream in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Keep stirring until melted and immediately spread the caramel mixture over the cooked brownie layer.
- Pour the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer. Try to spread it evenly as it is pretty difficult to try to smooth it out evenly over the caramel layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven and transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting and serving. You'll definitely want to wait for it because otherwise, your squares will be a complete gooey mess!