Pumpkin alfredo pasta is a creamy, rich, and velvety pasta dish that perfectly marries the flavors of Fall and indulgence of a classic Italian favorite. This dish seamlessly blends the creamy decadence a cream sauce with the earthy and sweet undertones of pumpkin. Gather your ingredients and make way for this pumpkin alfredo pasta to be your new Fall favorite!
Ingredients for Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- Long pasta – any favorite of yours such as fettuccine (as used here), spaghetti, bucatini, linguine, or tagliatelle.
- Shallot or onion
- Garlic – fresh garlic gives the best flavor.
- Half and half – you can use heavy cream if you want but half and half is a great balance.
- Pumpkin puree – make sure this is plain and nothing else added to it.
- Maple syrup – this is optional but it adds a little bit more sweetness to the overall sauce which compliments it really well!
- Salt and pepper
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Grated parmesan cheese – this can be fresh or you can use pre-grated.
Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta Variations
Adding more earthy herbs like fresh thyme and fresh sage would definitely make this dish have even more flavors of Fall!
The pasta water that you reserve will help with this! If you are finding that the sauce is too thick for the amount of pasta, thin it out with the pasta water.
It’s okay, you can use vegetable stock or water to thin it out. The pasta water just has nice starch to it.
Absolutely! Chicken or shrimp would be excellent in this pumpkin alfredo.
Allow pasta to cool then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: we suggest adding in a splash of vegetable broth or milk to loosen it back up since being in the cold will cause the entire sauce to thicken and seize up. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until loosened up and to your desired consistency.
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- 1 pound (454 g) pasta of choice, cooked according to package directions (fettuccine, linguine, spaghetti, bucatini)
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup (245 g) pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup (57 g) salted butter
- ½ cup (80 g) finely diced shallot or yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
- ¾ cup (75 g) grated parmesan, plus more to top
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 – 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the half and half, pumpkin, maple syrup, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in shallot or onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add in the pumpkin cream mixture and stir. Bring to a simmer. Add in the cooked pasta and parmesan and use tongs to coat the pasta in sauce.
- If needed, add in reserved pasta to loosen up the sauce.
- Serve warm topped with more parmesan and fresh parsley (for garnish, optional).
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.