Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzels
Ohhhh, these pretzels.
You know them, have seen them, and probably have gotten addicted to them.
When I first discovered these as a kid, I was utterly hooked on them. Something about these pretzels; I just couldn’t stop eating them! My dad was equally hooked on them as I was.
Granted, they did give you pretty bad breath, but there’s nothing mint or gum can’t fix.
Talking about these honey mustard and onion pretzels just makes me want to go whip up a whole new batch.
I think I cracked the recipe to them. They taste EXACTLY like the ones you know and love and they’re so easy to make at home.
I really honestly think they’re PERFECT. I had my coworker try them, who knew exactly what I was talking about because he would buy bags of them at the store.
He said my version tasted EXACTLY like them and was very impressed. You really don’t need to go buy the pre-made ones anymore and just make them yourself from scratch!! :)
Since I came up with this recipe in 2014, I have had numerous feedback and one of the comments I got was that they come out soggy.
You have to make sure you use these big sourdough pretzels and not the thin pretzels that you’re used to eating. You also have to make sure they’re in an even layer on the baking sheet otherwise they’re just kind of steaming each other, you know? They’re like overcrowding each other like how when you fry too many things in a skillet, they don’t really get super crisp.
You also have to let it sit before you eat them straight from the oven. They harden up a bit more after coming out of the oven.
Hopefully with these tips, you’ll be able to make a successful batch of these honey mustard and onion pretzels that I love so much!
You’re going to want to make a triple batch. Everyone will devour these!
These honey mustard and onion pretzels taste EXACTLY like the ones you know and love.
- 12 oz sourdough hard pretzels, the pounder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, honey, yellow mustard, and onion powder.
- Smash the sourdough hard pretzels against your countertop into bite-size pieces.
- Pour the pretzels into the mixture and toss well to coat every piece.
- Pour the pretzels onto the baking sheet and spread them out in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing/turning the pieces halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then store in an airtight container.
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
Posted on May 22, 2018