This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
The easiest and most craveable snacks are these ranch oyster crackers! They’re perfect by the handful or on top of salads or even soup. This seasoned oyster cracker snack is a simple recipe to make for a crowd or just for you!
I remember when I was young and we would go to a seafood restaurant and order clam chowder and alongside the soup they’d give you these little packets of oyster crackers. Majority of the time I didn’t even use them but I do remember nibbling on them to stave my hunger for a bit longer before my entree came. They were dry and basically a really insignificant part of the meal.
Fast forward years later when someone decided tossing these oyster crackers in butter and sprinkling magical seasoning on them. Oyster crackers are a blank slate and they instantly become irresistible! Take, for example, these Lemon Ranch Oyster Crackers – they’re bright and tangy if that’s the flavor route you’re headed. Now this recipe here for classic ranch oyster crackers are just that — classic and addictive.
What exactly are oyster crackers?
Contrary to the name, oysters crackers do not taste like oysters. Their official name is water crackers and they were originally served alongside oyster stews, which is how they got their nickname, oyster crackers. The Kitchn has a lengthy article on oyster crackers and it was a fascinating read if you’re into history.
Why You’ll Love This
- Simple snack. These little oyster crackers are a simple snack to just grab a handful of when you’re feeling peckish but don’t want to ruin your appetite for a larger meal.
- Flavorful. These oyster crackers are seasoned with delicious ranch seasoning which is a flavor us Americans know and love. Additional seasonings of garlic powder and smoked paprika make this a well-balanced flavored snack!
- Inexpensive. You can buy a large bag of oyster crackers pretty inexpensively and the other ingredients, like butter, you likely already have in your pantry. While you’re at the store for oyster crackers, pop into the salad dressings aisle for a pack of ranch seasoning!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make ranch oyster crackers. Make sure to scroll down to view the full recipe for exact measurements.
- Oyster crackers
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Ranch seasoning mix
How To Make Ranch Oyster Crackers
Ranch oyster crackers have minimal steps and is very easy to make; you’ll be snacking in no time! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Set the oven and prepare a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Melt the butter. Melt the butter in the microwave and pour into a large bowl.
Add the seasonings. Sprinkle the seasonings and spices into the melted butter.
Coat the crackers. Add the oyster crackers to the melted butter mixture in the bowl and toss to coat the crackers in the butter.
Spread the oyster crackers in an even layer. Pour the oyster crackers onto the prepared baking sheet and shake the baking sheet to ensure the oyster crackers are in an even layer and not stacked on top of one another.
Bake. Bake for 15 minutes at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking for bright and citrusy, these Lemon Ranch Oyster Crackers are a great variation.
Olive oil may be used instead of the butter.
Cayenne pepper can be added if you want a kick of spice in this.
Tips for Success
You guessed it! I do have some tips and tricks for these oyster crackers.
- Evenly coat the oyster crackers. You don’t want uneven coating with the butter or seasonings because how terrible would it be to have some crackers with hardly any seasoning on them?! Ensure an even coating by tossing repeatedly.
- Make sure crackers are on an even layer. Definitely don’t want some crackers to not get baked with the seasoning goodness! Give the sheet pan a good shake to ensure crackers fall into place.
- Use unsalted butter. Since the ranch seasoning mix already has a decent amount of sodium and to avoid over-salting your crackers, use unsalted butter. If you still find the crackers to be under-seasoned, season with salt to taste after you remove from the oven.
Store in a plastic bag or container for up to 10 days at room temperature.
What to Serve Alongside Ranch Oyster Crackers
- Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- Lemon Pepper Wings
- Sticky Korean-Style Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Jalapeño Corn Dip
Ranch Oyster Crackers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 9 ounce bag oyster crackers
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat oven to 250 °F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large bowl then add seasonings and spices to it. Add the oyster crackers and toss to evenly coat the crackers.
- Pour oyster crackers onto prepared baking sheet and make sure they're in an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.